William A. LaFramboise, PhD
Associate Professor of Pathology
Dr. LaFramboise is a member of tthe Division of Molecular Genomic Pathology, and the University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute. He directs the Genomics Division of the Cancer Biomarker Facility.
5230 Centre Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Office Telephone: 412-623-6160
Genomics Lab: 412-623-1497
Sequencing Lab: 412-864-7515
High Throughput Genomic/Proteomics and Sequencing
Interrogation of genome-wide DNA, mRNA and microRNA profiles in cancer using 1) microarrays, 2) PCR, and 3) Next-Generation and Targeted Deep Sequencing of human specimens using (SOLiD) and single molecule sequencing detection (Ion Torrent).
Stem Cells and Tumor Stem Cells
Perform in vitro selection of stem cells intrinsic to normal tissues and tumors - media conditions and substrates established for culture of human embryonic stem cell lines select, isolate and amplify colony-forming cells from normal vs. tumor biopsy specimens.
Diagnosis of Coronary Artery Disease
Multiplex proteomics immunoassays of serum samples distinguish patients with coronary artery disease (CAD) requiring clinical intervention. A 5 protein signature and algorithm was developed to classify patients in need of therapy with 95% positive predictive value.
Clinical Genomics Facility
Development of novel assays to interrogate complex targets from difficult specimens such as stem cells, rare heterogenous tumors & FFPE samples. The facility has an internal normal DNA and SNP reference database for utilization in all SNP and sequencing studies.
Awards and HonorsUniversity of Pittsburgh Innovator Award, 2008 - 2011
NIH ResearchView Dr. LaFramboise's NIH RePORT on nih.gov
Selected PublicationsView Dr. LaFramboise's publications on PubMed
- Edinger RS, Coronnello C., Bodnar AJ, LaFramboise WA, Benos PV, Ho J, Johnson JP, Butterworth MB. Aldosterone regulates microRNAs in the CCD to alter sodium transport. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2014 Apr 17. PMID: 24744440.
- Tarhini AA, Lin Y, Yeku O, LaFramboise WA, Ashraf M, Sander C, Lee S, Kirkwood JM. A four-marker signature of TNF-RII, TGF-α, TIMP-1 and CRP is prognostic of worse survival in high-risk surgically resected melanoma. J Transl Med. 2014 Jan 23;12:19. doi: 10.1186/1479-5876-12-19. PMCID: PMC3909384.
- Davison JM, Yee M, Krill-Burger JM, Lyons-Weiler MA, Kelly LA, Sciulli CM, Nason KS, Luketich JD, Michalopoulos GK, LaFramboise WA. The degree of segmental aneuploidy measured by total copy number abnormalities predicts survival and recurrence in superficial gastroesophageal adenocarcinoma. PLoS One. 2014 Jan 16;9(1):e79079. PMCID: PMC3894223.
- Jain S, Roy S, Amin M, Acquafondata M, Yin M, LaFramboise W, Bastacky S, Pantanowitz L, Dhir R, Parwani A. Amylase α-1A (AMY1A): A Novel Immunohistochemical Marker to Differentiate Chromophobe Renal Carcinoma From Benign Oncocytoma. Am J Surg Pathol. 2013 Dec;37(12): 1824-30. PMID: 24225843.
- Vicetti Miguel RD, Harvey SA, LaFramboise WA, Reighard SD, Matthews DB, Cherpes TL Human female genital tract infection by the obligate intracellular bacterium Chlamydia trachomatis elicits robust Type 2 immunity. PLoS One. 2013;8(3): e58565. PMCID: PMC3603585.
- LaFramboise WA, Kelly LA, Petrosko P, Krill-Burger JM, Sciulli CM, BS1, Lyons MA, Chandran UR, Dhir R, Lomakin A, Masterson RV, Marroquin OC, Mulukutla SR, McNamara DM. Serum Proteomic Profiles Detect Coronary Artery Disease in Symptomatic Patients Referred for Coronary Angiography. BMC Medicine. 2012 Dec 5; 10 (1): 157. PMCID: PMC3566965.
- Gullapalli RR, Lyons-Weiler M, Petrosko P, Dhir R, Becich MJ, LaFramboise WA. Clinical integration of next-generation sequencing technology. Clin Lab Med. 2012 Dec;32(4):585-99. PMCID: PMC3479671.
- Bonneh-Barkay D, Wang G, LaFramboise WA, Wiley CA, Bissel SJ Exacerbation of Experimental Autoimmune Encephalomyelitis in the Absence of Breast Regression Protein 39/Chitinase 3-Like 1. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol. 2012 Nov; 71 (11): 948-958. PMCID: PMC3481009.
- Yu YP, Song C, Tseng G, Ren BG, LaFramboise W, Michalopoulos G, Nelson J, Luo JH. Genome abnormalities precede prostate cancer and predict clinical relapse. Am J Pathol. 2012 Jun: 180(6): 2240-2248. PMCID: PMC3385611.
- Krill-Burger JM, Lyons MA, Kelly LA, Sciulli CM, Petrosko P, Chandran UR, Kubal MD, Bastacky SI, Parwani AV, Dhir R, LaFramboise WA. Renal Cell Neoplasms Contain Shared Tumor Type-Specific Copy Number Variations. In Press: American Journal of Pathology Am J Pathol. 2012 Jun;180(6):2427-39. PMCID: PMC3378847.
- Satish L, LaFramboise WA, Johnson S, Vi L, Njarlangattil A, Raykha C, Krill-Burger JM, Gallo PH, O'Gorman DB, Gan BS, Baratz ME, Ehrlich GD, Kathju S. Fibroblasts from phenotypically normal palmar fascia exhibit molecular profiles highly similar to fibroblasts from active disease in Dupuytren's Contracture. BMC Med Genomics. 2012 May: (4): 5:15. PMCID: PMC3375203.