Pathologist Investigator Residency / Research Training Program - PIRRT Phase I ApplicationApplicants are encouraged to indicate their potential interest in PIRRT to the Pathology Residency Office upon initial application. Upon invitation by the Residency Office to interview, applicants that are interested in PIRRT should provide the following materials to the Residency Office for distribution to the PIRRT Selection Committee along with their ERAS application.
- Curriculum Vitae (please separate full length, peer reviewed publications from abstracts and reviews)
- Up to 3 reprints of prior publications
- 1-2 page document describing commitment to an academic career in pathology involving independent research. How will acceptance in the PIRRT program help prepare you for this career? Include a projected time-line for accomplishment of career development goals with relation to residency training.
- Two references who can address your potential for a research career. If these references have already written letters commenting on your potential for independent research in the ERAS application, please send a note to that effect & identify the name of the reference.
- Names of Pathology faculty members that you would like to meet
All invitations to interview are handled solely by the Residency office. Please do not send a Phase I application until after you have been invited to interview.
Materials should be sent to:
Department of Pathology
Residency Program Office
Scaife Hall Suite A711
3550 Terrace Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15261
Or electronically to:
Patricia Zrimsek - firstname.lastname@example.org
Candidate SelectionStrong candicacy for the residency program is a prerequisite for consideration by PIRRT. From among the candidates that are selected by the residency program for interview, the PIRRT committee will consider:
- Candidate's goals and commitment to a career in biomedical research
- Candidate's potential to develop into an independent investigator, based upon past accomplishments and personal characteristics
AcceptanceThe PIRRT selection committee will score the applications independently of the residency program. These factors will be integrated with results of the general Residency interview. Applicants will be notified by Dr. Macpherson if they are considered to be strong candidates for the program.