Tim D. Oury, MD, PhD
Professor of Pathology
Dr. Oury is a member of the Division of Molecular Genomic Pathology.
Dr. Oury is co-director of a program designed to transition physician scientist trainees into academic faculty professorships. This combined Residency-Post-doctoral Research Fellowship or combined Residency-PhD program is designed to develop Academic Pathologists to become independent Principal Investigators and to play a leading role in combined research and diagnostic careers.
S785 Scaife Hall
3550 Terrace Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15261
Office Telephone: 412-648-9659
- PhD - Duke University, 1993
- MD - Duke University, 1994
Clinical ExpertiseMolecular Diagnostics
We are investigating a novel role for the Receptor for Advanced Glycation Endproducts (RAGE) in the pathogenesis of asthma We have found that RAGE is necessary for initiating innate immune responses that then promote the pathogenesis of asthma. Specifically, we found that RAGE mediates lung specific recruitment of group 2 innate lymphoid cells (ILC2) in response to allergens. We are currently investigating the mechanisms in which RAGE is medicating this precess.
Selected Publications:View Dr. Oury's publications on PubMed.
- Manni ML, Epperly MW, Han W, Blackwell TS, Duncan SR, Piganelli JD, Oury TD. (2012) Leukocyte-derived extracellular superoxide dismutase does not contribute to airspace EC-SOD after interstitial pulmonary injury. Am J Physiol (Lung Cell Mol Physiol). 302: L160-6. PMID: 22003088. [PubMed - in process]
- Kawakami T, Puri N, Sodhi K, Bellner L, Takahashi T, Morita K, Oury TD, Abraham NG. (2012) Reciprocal Effects of Oxidative Stress on Heme Oxygenase Expression and Activity Contributes to Reno-Vascular Abnormalities in EC-SOD Knockout Mice. Int. J. of Hypertension. 2012: Article ID: 740203 (11 pages).
- Li HH, Li Q, Liu P, Liu Y, Li J, Wasserloos K, Chao W, You M, Oury TD, Chhinder S, Hackam DJ, Billiar TR, Leikauf GD, Pitt BR, Zhang LM. (2012) WNT1 inducible signaling pathway protein 1 (WISP1) contributes to ventilator-induced lung injury. Am. J. Resp. Cell Molec. Biol. In Press.
- Empey KM, Orend JG, Peebles RS, Egana L, Norris KA, Oury TD, Kolls JK. (2012) Stimulation of immature lung macrophages with intranasal interferon gamma in a novel neonatal mouse model of respiratory syncytial virus infection. PLoS ONE. 7(7): e40499.
- Milutinovic PS, Alcorn JF, Englert JM, Crum LT, Oury TD. (2012) The receptor for advanced glycation end-products is a central mediator of asthma pathogenesis. Am. J. Pathol. 181(4): 1215-25.
- Oczypok E, Oury TD, Chu CT. (2013) It’s a cell eat cell world: A century of research in phagocytosis and autophagy. Am. J. Pathol. 182 (3): 612-22.
- Lee SM, McLaughlin J, Frederick D, Zhu L, Thambiayya K, Wasserloss K, Kaminski I, Pearce L, Peterson J, Li J, Latoche J, Peck-Palmer O, Beer-Stolz D, Fattman C, Alcorn J, Oury TD, Angus D, Pitt B, Kaynar AM. (2013) Metallothionein-induced zinc partitioning exacerbates hyperoxic acute lung injury. Am J Physiol (Lung Cell Mol Physiol) 304(5): L350-60.
- Moore B, Lawson WE, Oury TD, Sisson TH, Raghavendran K, Hogaboam CM. (2013) Animal models of fibrotic lung disease. Am. J. Resp. Cell Molec. Biol. 49(2): 167-179.
- Scavenius C, Petersen J, Thomsen L, Poulsen E, Hansen Z, Bowler RP, Oury TD, Petersen S, Enghild J. (2013) Murine extracellular superoxide dismutase is converted in to the inactive fold by the Ser195Cys mutation. Biochemistry. 52(19): 3369-3375.
- Slight S, Avery L, Davis M, Yeh S, Gopal R, Cleveland H, Monin L, Oury TD, Rangel-Moreno J, Khader SA. (2013) Interleukin-10 restrains Interleukin-17 to limit lung pathology following pulmonary infection with Francisella tularensis LVS. Am. J. Pathol. 183(5): 1397-1404.
- Iannitti RG, Casagrande A, De Luca A, Cunha C, Guglielmo S, Riuzzi F, Borghi M, Galosi C, Massi-Benedetti C, Oury TD, Defilippi G, Russo M, Porcaro L, Colombo F, Majo F, Lucidi V, Fiscarelli E, Lass-Flörl C, Ratclif L, De Benedictis FM, Donato R, Carvalho A, Romani L. (2013) Hypoxia promotes danger-mediated inflammation via RAGE in cystic fibrosis. Am. J. Resp. Crit. Care Med. 188(11): 1338-50.
- Blackwell TS, Tager AM, Borok Z, Moore BB, Schwartz DA, Anstrom KJ, Bar-Joseph Z, Bitterman P, Blackburn MR, Bradford W, Brown KK, Chapman HA, Collard HR, Cosgrove GP, Deterding R, Doyle R, Flaherty KJ, Garcia CK, Hagood JS, Henke CA, Herzog E, Hogaboam CM, Horowitz JC, King TE, Loyd JE, Lawson WE, Marsh CB, Noble PW, Noth I, Sheppard D, Olsson J, Ortiz LA, O'Riordan TG, Oury TD, Sisson TH, Raghu G, Roman J, Sime PJ, Tschumperlin D, Violette SM, WeaverTE, Wells RG, White ES, Kaminski N, Martinez FJ, Wynn TA, Thannickall VJ, and Eu JP (2014) NHLBI Workshop Summary. Future directions in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis research. An NHLBI workshop report. Am. J. Resp. Crit. Care Med. 189(2): 214-22.
- Hartman A, Powell D, Bethel L, Caroline A, Schmid R, Oury TD, and Reed D (2014) Aerosolized Rift Valley Fever virus causes fatal encephalitis in African green monkeys and common marmosets. J. Virol. 88(4): 2235-45.
- Milutinovic PS, Englert JM, Crum LT, Mason NS, Rasgaard L, Enghild JJ, Sparvero LJ, Lotze MT, Oury TD. (2014) Clearance Kinetics and Matrix Binding Partners of the Receptor for Advanced Glycation End Products. PLoS ONE. 9(3): e8825.
- Caroline AL, Powell DS, Bethel LM, Oury TD, Reed DS, Hartman AL. (2014) Broad spectrum antiviral activity of Favipiravir (T-705): Protection from highly lethal inhalational Rift Valley Fever. PLoS ONE. 8(4): e2790.
- Oczpok EA, Oury TD. (2015) Electron microscopy remains the gold standard for the diagnosis of epithelial malignant mesothelioma: A case study. Ultrastruct Pathol. 39: 153-8.
- Tan RJ, Zhou D, Zhou L, Li Y, Oury TD, Liu Y. (2015) Extracellular superoxide dismutase serves a protective role in proteinuric kidney disease. J. Am. Soc. Nephrol. In Press.
- Sambamurthy N, Leme AS, Oury TD, Shapiro SD. (2015) The receptor for advanced glycation end products (RAGE) contributes to the progression of emphysema in mice. PLoS ONE. 10 (3): e0118979.
- Gregory AD, Kliment CR, Metz HE, Kim KH, Kargl J, Agostini BA, Crum LT, Oczypok EA, Oury TD, Houghton AM (2015) Neutrophil Elastase Promotes Myofibroblast Differentiation in Lung Fibrosis. J. Leukoc. Biol. In Press.
- Oczypok EA, Milutinovic PS, Alcorn J, Khare A, Crum LT, Manni ML, Epperly MW, Pawluk AM, Ray A, Oury TD. (2015) Pulmonary receptor for advanced glycation endproducts promotes asthma pathogenesis via IL-33 and accumulation of group 2 innate lymphoid cells. J. Allergy Clin. Immun. In Press.