Raymond E. Felgar, MD, PhD
Dr. Felgar is a member of the Division of Hematopathology. He is also Director of the ACGME accredited
Hematopathology Fellowship Program and the Special Institutional Educational Program (SIEP) for 2nd
year fellows/Hematopathology Instructors. Dr. Felgar is a member of the UPMC Graduate Medical Education
Committee, UPMC SIEP Committee, the American Society of Pathology Resident In-Service Examination Committee,
and the Fellowship In-Service Hematopathology Examination Committee.
Professor of Pathology
200 Lothrop Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Office Telephone: 412-647-8780
- BS - The Pennsylvania State University, 1985
- PhD - University of Pittsburgh, 1990
- MD - University of Pittsburgh, 1992
- Residency - University of Pennsylvania, 1992 - 1996
- Fellowship - Vanderbilt University, 1996 - 1998
Clinical ExpertiseDr. Felgarís clinical expertise includes:
- General Hematopathology
- Lymph node pathology
- Bone marrow pathology (both adult and pediatric)
- Flow cytometry
- Natural Killer cell and T cell malignancies
Research InterestsDr. Felgar's research interests relate to the classification and pathobiology of hematopoietic and lymphoid malignancies and the application of normal immunobiology as it may relate to hematopoietic tumors, with a particular interest in T and NK cell malignancy, natural killer cells, and myelodysplasia. He has expertise in both flow cytometry and immunohistochemistry.
Selected Publications:View Dr. Felgar's publications on PubMed
- Wilson AL, Swerdlow SH, Przybylski GK, Surti U, Choi JK, Campo E, Trucco MM, Van Oss B, Felgar RE. Intestinal gamma-delta T-cell lymphomas are most frequently of type II enteropathy-associated Tcell type. Human Pathology 44:1131-1145, 2013.
- Karunamurthy A and Felgar RE. T-cell large granular lymphocytic leukemia: Characteristic diagnostic features. ASCP Check Sample Program: Clinical Hematology Series, No. HP12-7 (HP-354), 47:73-83, 2012.
- Lieberman F, Yazbeck V, Raptis A, Felgar R, Boyiadzis M. Primary central nervous system posttransplant lymphoproliferative disorders following allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation. Journal of Neuro-Oncology, 107:225-32, 2012.
- Rollins-Raval MA, Felgar RE, Krasinskas AM, Roth CG. Increased IgG4-positive plasma cells may rarely be seen in lymph nodes of patients without IgG4-related sclerosing disease. International Journal of Surgical Pathology, e-pub available on line 9/12/2011.
- Gibson SE, Swerdlow SH, Felgar RE. Natural killer (NK) cell subsets and NK-like T-cell populations in benign and neoplastic B-cell proliferations vary based on clinicopathologic features. Human Pathology, 42:679-687, 2011.
- Kastenbaum HA, Khalbuss WE, Felgar RE, Stoller R, Monaco SE. The Spectrum of Coincident Entities with Small Lymphocytic Lymphoma/Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia (SLL/CLL) Diagnosed by Cytology. CytoJournal, 2010, Epub Oct 11;7:20
- Gao FF and Felgar RE. B-cell prolymphocytic leukemia: Diagnosis and clinical features. ASCP Check Sample Program: Clinical Hematology Series, 46:39-49, 2011.
- Winter JN, Li S, Aurora V, Vikas A, Variakojis D, Nelson B, Krajewska M, Zhang L, Habermann TM, Fisher RI, Macon WR, Chhanabhai M, Felgar RE, Hsi ED, Medeiros LJ, Weick JK, Weller EA, Melnick A, Reed JC, Horning SJ, Gascoyne RD. Expression of p21 protein predicts clinical outcome in DLBCL patients treated with R-CHOP but not CHOP: a prospective ECOG and SWOG correlative study of E4494, CCR-09-1219R1. Clinical Cancer Research, 16:2435-2442, 2010.
- Dufresne SD, Felgar RE, Sargent RL, Surti U, Gollin SM, McPhail ED, Cook JR, Swerdlow SH. Defining the borders of splenic marginal zone lymphoma: a multiparameter study. Human Pathology, 41:540-551, 2010.
- Castro ECC, Blasquez C, Boyd J, Correa H, de Chadarevian J-P, Felgar RE, Graf N, Levy N, Lowe EJ, Manning JT, Proytcheva MA, Senger C, Shayan K, Sterba J, Werner A, Surti U, Jaffe R. Clinicopathologic features of histiocytic lesions following acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL), with a review of the literature. Pediatric and Developmental Pathology, 13:225-237, 2010.
- Monaco SE, Teot LA, Felgar RE, Surti U, Cai, G. Fluorescence in-situ hybridization (FISH) studies on direct smears: an approach to enhance the fine needle aspiration biopsy diagnosis of B-cell non-Hodgkin lymphomas, Cancer Cytopathology, 117:338-348, 2009.
- Felgar RE. Myelodysplasia with isolated thrombocytopenia (Refractory Thrombocytopenia). ASCP Check Sample Program: Clinical Hematology Series 44:77-86, 2009.
- Plowey ED, Felgar RE. Clonally-related Histiocytic Neoplasm in Patients with Prior Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. ASCP Check Sample Program: Clinical Hematology Series 44:87-98, 2009.
- Germin B, Ajay M, Dimopoulos V, Felgar R. 56-year-old male with left-sided weakness. Brain Pathology, 18:300-302, 2008.
- Vargas RL, Felgar RE, Rothberg PG. Detection of clonality in lymphoproliferations using PCR of the antigen receptor genes: Does size matter? Leukemia Research, 32:335-338, 2008.
- Huggins J, Pellegrin T, Felgar RE, Wei C, Brown M, Zheng B, Milner EC, Bernstein SH, Sanz I, Zand MS. CpG DNA activation and plasma cell differentiation of CD27- naive human B cells. 2007. Blood 109:1611-1619.
- Ryan EP, Pollock SJ, Kaur K, Felgar RE, Bernstein SH, Chiorrazi N, Phipps R. Constitutive and activation-inducible cyclooxygenase-2 expression enhances survival of chronic lymphocytic leukemia B cells. 2006. Clinical Immunology, 120:76-90.
- Winter JN. Weller EA, Horning, SJ, Krajewska M, Variakojis D, Habermann TM, Fisher RI, Kurtin PJ, Macon WR, Chhanabhai M, Felgar RE, Hsi ED, Medeiros LJ, Weick JK, Reed JC, Gascoyne RD. Prognostic significance of bcl-6 protein expression in DLBCL treated with CHOP or R-CHOP: a prospective correlative study. 2006. Blood, 107:4207-4213.
- Zand MS, Vo T, Pellegrin T, Felgar R, Liesveld JL, Ifthikharuddin JJ, Abboud CN, Sanz I, Huggins J. Apoptosis and complement mediated lysis of myeloma cells by polyclonal rabbit anti-thymocyte globulin. 2005. Blood, 107:2895-903.