Lirong Qu, MD, PhD
Dr. Qu is a member of the Institute for Transfusion Medicine.
Associate Professor of Pathology
University of Pittsburgh
Institute of Transfusion Medicine
3636 Blvd of the Allies
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Office Telephone: 412-209-7428
- MD - Huabei Medical College for the Coal Industry, Tangshan, Hebei, PR China, 1983
- PhD - University of Pittsburgh, 1994
Clinical ExpertiseDr. Qu has eight years of experience in clinical transfusion medicine. As an assistant medical director previously and an Interim Medical director as of November 2011, Dr. Qu oversees the daily operation of a large Centralized Transfusion Service (CTS) at The Institute for Transfusion Medicine (ITxM). CTS serves four teaching hospitals and 10 community hospitals in the greater Pittsburgh area, transfusing more than 115K red cells and 100K platelets annually. Dr. Qu is the program director for the Blood Banking/Transfusion Medicine Fellowship program at Department of Pathology at University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.
Research InterestsSee the Selected Publications section for Dr. Qu’s research expertise and accomplishments.
- ECFMG Certificate by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduate
- Clinical Pathology: The American Board of Pathology
- Blood Banking/Transfusion Medicine: The American Board of Pathology
SpecialtiesClinical Pathology, Blood Banking/Transfusion Medicine
Awards and Honors
- 1995 - Outstanding Student Award, Graduate School of Public Health, University of Pittsburgh
- 1995 - Best Doctoral Dissertation of the Year, Department of Infectious Diseases and Microbiology, Graduate School of Public Health, University of Pittsburgh
- 2002 - Young Investigator Award, Academy of Clinical Laboratory Physicians and Scientists
- 2007 - National Blood Foundation 1 year Grant award
- 2008 - Nominated for Clinical Pathology Teaching Faculty of the Year, University of Pittsburgh, Department of Pathology
- 2010 - Nominated for Clinical Pathology Teaching Faculty of the Year, University of Pittsburgh, Department of Pathology
- 2011 - Nominated for Clinical Pathology Teaching Faculty of the Year, University of Pittsburgh, Department of Pathology
Selected PublicationsView Dr. Qu's publications on PubMed
- Qu L, Rowe DT, Donnenberg AD, Griffin DL, Triulzi DJ. 2009. Effects of Storage and Leukoreduction on Lymphocytes and EBV Genome in Platelet Concentrates. Transfusion. 49:1580-3.
- Qu L, Jenkins F, Triulzi DJ. 2010. Human herpesvirus 8 genomes and seroprevalence in United States blood donors. Transfusion. 50:1050-56.
- Qu L, Triulzi DJ, Rowe DT, Jenkins FJ. 2011. Detection of HHV-8 (Human Herpesvirus 8) Genomes in Induced Peripheral Blood Mononuclear Cells (PBMNC) from US Blood Donors. Vox Sanguinis. 100:267-71.
- Xiong Z, Cavaretta J, Qu L, Stolz DB, Triulzi D, Lee JS. 2011. Red Cell Microparticles Show Altered Inflammatory Chemokine Binding and Release Ligand Upon Interaction with Platelets. Transfusion. 51:610-21.
- Qu L, Kiss JE, Dargo G, Carcillo JA. 2011. Outcomes of previously healthy pediatric patients with fulminant sepsis-induced multisystem organ failure receiving therapeutic plasma exchange. J Clin Apher. 26:208-13.
- Donadee C, Raat NJ, Kanias T, Tejero J, Lee JS, Kelley EE, Zhao X, Liu C, Reynolds H, Azarov I, Frizzell S, Meyer EM, Donnenberg AD, Qu L, Triulzi D, Kim-Shapiro DB, Gladwin MT. 2011 Nitric oxide scavenging by red blood cell microparticles and cell-free hemoglobin as a mechanism for the red cell storage lesion. Circulation. 124:465-76.
- Wang RR, Triulzi DJ, Qu L. 2012. Effects of prestorage versus poststorage leukoreduction on the rate of febrile nonhemolytic transfusion reactions to platelets. Am J Clin Path. Manuscript accepted.