Chengquan Zhao, MD
Dr. Zhao is a member of the Division of Gynecologic Pathology.
He is Associate Director of Cytopathology and Director of Fine Needle Aspiration at Magee-Womens Hospital.
Professor of Pathology
300 Halket Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Office Telephone: 412-641-6678
- MD - Qingdao Medical College, China, 1983
- MS - Qingdao Medical College, China, 1988
- Postdoctoral - Hebrew University School of Medicine, 1993
- Postdoctoral - University of California, Los Angeles, 1997
- Cytopathology Fellow - University of Southern California, 2006
- Gynecologic/Breast Surgical Fellow - Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, 2005
Clinical ExpertiseDr. Zhao has had subspecialty training in gynecological/breast surgical pathology at AFIP and Cytopathology at the University of Southern California. His main clinical diagnostic services are focused on gynecologic and breast surgical pathology, gynecologic cytology, non-gynecologic cytology, and fine needle aspiration cytology at Magee-Womens Hospital. Also he has the clinical service on FNA cytology and non-gynecological cytology at UPMC Shadyside.
Research InterestsDr. Zhao has concentrated his research in the following areas:
- Immunohistochemical studies of ovarian sex cord stromal tumors
- Pathogenesis of studies of ovarian carcinomas, such as ovarian clear cell carcinoma, serous carcinoma, tubal intraepithelial carcinoma, ovarian serous tumors of low malignant potential
- Utility of adjunctive human papillomavirus DNA detection in gynecologic cytology with emphasis on risk stratification and clinical follow-up. Study on the relationship between abnormal Pap tests, hrHPV infection, and histological findings
- To develop the novel biophotonics-based techniques for improving the diagnostic accuracy of cervical cytology, collaborated with Dr. Yang Liu
- ECFMG - January 1998
- American Board of Pathology, combined AP/CP - August 2005
- American Board of Pathology, Cytopathology - September 2006
SpecialitiesGynecological Pathology, Breast Pathology, and Cytopathology
Awards and Honors
- Young Scientific Leader Trained by the Education Committee of Shandong Provinces - 1990
- Outstanding Scientific Research Award, Qingdao Medical College - 1991
- Golda Meir Foundation Postdoctoral Fellow, Hebrew University - 1992-1993
- United States Patent, Clavaspirins, #5998374 - December 1999
- United States Patent, Clavanins, #6010876 - January 2000
- United States Patent, Clavanins, #6040293 - March 2000
- The award of Huaxia Education, Huaxia Pathology - March 2011
Selected PublicationsView Dr. Zhao's publications on PubMed
- Cohen D, Austin RM, Gilbert C, Freij R, Zhao C (corresponding). Follow-up outcomes in a large cohort of patients with human papillomavirus-negative ASC-H cervical screening test results. Am J Clin Pathol. Accepted in April 2012.
- Alexandrov SA, Uttam S, Bista RK, Zhao C, Liu Y. Real time quantitative visualization of 3D structural information. Opt Express. 2012;20(8):9203:14.
- Zhao C (corresponding), Desouki MM, Florea A, Mohammed K, Li X, Dabbs D. Pathologic findings of follow-up surgical excision for lobular neoplasia on breast core biopsy performed for calcification. Am J Clin Pathol. 2012;137
- Liu X , Wang X, Wang Y, Zhao C, Luo B. Methylation and expression of retinoblastoma1 and transforming growth factor-β1 genes in Epstein-Barr virus-associated and –negative gastric carcinomas. Arch Virol. Accepted in March 2012
- Heravi-Mussavi A, Anglesio MS, Cheng SWG, Senz J….Young RH, Zhao C, ….Morin GB, Huntsman DG. Recurrent somatic DICER1 mutations in non-epithelial ovarian cancers. New Engl J Med 2011 Dec 21. [Epub ahead of print]
- Austin RM, Zhao C. Unrecognized risks associated with new cervical screening guidelines for younger women. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2011;135(9):1080
- Austin RM, Zhao C. Type 1 and Type 2 cervical carcinomas: Some cervical carcinomas are more difficult to prevent with screening. Cytopathology 2012;23(1):6-12
- Wu C, Wang Y, Chao Y, Jia Y, Zhao C, Luo B. Characterization of Epstein-Barr virus type I nuclear antigen 3C sequence patterns of nasopharyngeal and gastric carcinomas in Northern China. Arch Virol 2012 Feb 3. [Epub ahead of print].
- Zhang XS, Dong HY, Zhang LL, Desouki MM, Zhao C (corresponding). Xanthogranulomatous inflammation in the female genital tract. J Cancer 2012;3:100-106
- Zhao C (corresponding), Domfeh A, Austin RM. Histopathologic outcomes and clinical correlations for high risk patients screened with anal cytology. Acta Cytol. 2012;56(1):62-7. Epub 2012 Jan 4.
- Mona Bansal, Li Z, Zhao C (corresponding). Correlation of histopathologic/cytologic follow-up findings with vaginal ASC-US and ASC-H Pap test and HPV test results. Am J Clin Pathol. 2012;137;437-443
- Auger M, Khalbuss WE, Nayar R, Zhao C, Wasserman P, Souers R, Thomas N, Moriarty Ann. Accuracy and false-positive rate of cytologic diagnosis of follicular cervicitis: observation from the College of American Pathologists Pap educational program. Arch Pathol Lab Med. Accepted in April, 2012.
- Moriarty AT, Bentz JS, Winkler B, Fischer AH, Laucirica R, Souers R, Thomas N, Zhao C. Proficiency Testing of High Risk Human Papillomavirus DNA Tests: The first 3 years of experience of the College of Pathologists CHPV surveys. Arch Pathol Lab Med. Accepted April, 2012
- Li X, Weaver O, Desouki MM, Dabbs D, Shyu S, Carter G, Zhao C (corresponding). Microcalcification Is An Important Factor in the Management of Breast Introductal Papillomas Diagnosed on Core Biopsy. Am J Clin Pathol. Accepted in June 2012
- Li Z, Yang H, Gilbert CM, Zhao C (corresponding). Histologic follow-up in patients with Pap test findings of endometrial cells: results from a large academic womens hospital laboratory. Am J Clin Pathol. 2012;137
- Li Z, Austin RM, Zhao C (corresponding). Pap cytology and HC2 HPV DNA testing results in 234 patients with cervical squamous cell carcinoma. Arch Pathol Lab Med. Accepted in January, 2012
- Mentrikoski MJ, Zhao C, Zhang J, Wang HL, McMahon LA, Yang Q, Li F, Xu H. Metastatic endometrial stromal sarcoma of the lung: importance of immunohistochemical staining, clinical history and imaging studies. Biotechnic & Histochem. 2012;87:35-39.
- Austin RM, Zhao C. How should “negative” HPV LDT results be verified? Am J Clin Pathol. Accepted April 2012.
- Zhao C, Yang H. Approved assays for detecting HPV DNA: design, indication, and validation. CAP today. 2012;26(1):40-44
- Bansal M, Austin RM, Zhao C (corresponding). Correlation of Histopathologic Follow-up Findings with Vaginal Human Papillomavirus and LSIL Pap Test Results. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2011;135:1545-1549
- Rao J, Levin M, Zhao C. Premature conclusion on HPV-only testing. Lancet Oncol 2011;12(11):992-993
- Cheng JZ, Zhang JP, Yin XG, Li GX, Xu LH, Yang YL, Zhao C, Ren XC, Xue DB. Estrogen Receptor, Progesterone Receptor and Human Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor2 Expression in Invasive Apocrine Carcinomas of the Breast. Journal of Bengbu Medical College 2011;36(8)
- Gao F, Austin RM, Zhao C (corresponding). Histopathologic follow-up and human papillomavirus DNA test results in 290 Patients with high grade squamous intraepithelial lesion papanicolaou test results. Cancer Cytopathol. 2011;119(6):377-386
- Zhao C (corresponding), Chen X, Agnieszka OA, Kanbour A, Austin RM. Follow-up outcomes for a large cohort of U.S. women with negative imaged liquid based cytology findings and positive high risk human papillomavirus test results. Gynecol Oncol. 2011;122:291-296
- Luo B, Tang X, Jia Y, Wang Y, Chao Y, Zhao C. Sequence variation of Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) BZLF1 gene in EBV-associated gastric carcinomas and nasopharyngeal carcinomas in North China. Microbes Infect. 2011;13 (8-9):776-782
- Austin RM, Zhao C. Observations for Pap litigation consultations. Pathology Case Reviews 2011;16:73-82
- Zhao C (corresponding) Wu LSF, Barner R. Pathogenesis of ovarian clear cell adenofibroma, atypical proliferative (borderline) tumor, and carcinoma: clinicopathologic features of tumors with endometriosis or adenofibromatous components support two related pathways of tumor development. J Cancer 2011;2:94-106.
- Bansal M, Zhao C (corresponding). Prevalence of High Risk Human Papillomavirus in Women with Abnormal and Normal Vaginal ThinPrep Papanicolaou Cytology. J Low Genit Tract Dis. 2011;15(2):105-109
- Bohn OL, Zhao C, Jones MW. Unusual Ovarian Stromal Tumor with Radiation Changes Mimicking Carcinoma. J Cancer 2011;2:228-231
- Chao Y, Jing Y, Jia Y, Wang Y, Zhao C, Luo B. Conservation and mutation of viral interleukin-10 gene in gastric carcinomas and nasopharyngeal carcinomas. J Med Virol. 2011;83:644-650
- Zhao C (corresponding), Zhao S, Heider A, Austin RM. Significance of high-risk papillomavirus DNA detection in women 50 years and older with squamous cell Pap test abnormalities. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2010;134(8):1130-1135.
- Zhao C (corresponding), Kalposi-Novak P, and Austin RM. Follow-up Findings in Adolescents with HSIL Pap Test Results. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2011;135:361-364.
- Heider, Austin RM, Zhao C (corresponding). Data From a Large University Womens Hospital Practice Support ASCCP Guidelines Citing HPV Triage As An Option with LSIL Cytology for Older Women. Acta Cytol . 2011;55:48-53
- Fischer AH, Zhao C, Li QK, Gustafson K, Eltoum IE, Tambouret R, Benstein B, Savaloja L, Kulesza P. (American Society of Cytopathology Cell Biology Liaison Working Group). The Cytologic Criteria of Malignancy. J Cell Biochem. 2010;110(4):795-811.
- Zhao C, Florea A, Austin RM. The utility of high risk HPV testing in women with atypical glandular cells. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2010;134(1):103-108
- Bandyopadhyay S, Austin RM, Dabbs D, Zhao C (corresponding). Adjunctive HPV DNA Testing Is a Useful Option in Some Clinical Settings for Disease Risk Assessment and Triage of Women with ASC-H Pap Results. Experiment Lab Med. 2010;28(1):3-5.
- Bansal M, Austin RM, Zhao C (corresponding). High Risk HPV DNA detection in less than 2% of over 25,000 cytology negative imaged liquid based Pap test samples from women 30 and older. Gynecol Oncol. 2009 115(2):257-61
- Zhao S, Sun G ,MA De, Chen R, Dai H, Zhao C. Expression and Methylation Status of the Syk Gene in Cervical Carcinoma. Archives of Gynecology and Obstetrics. Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2011;238(5):1113-1119.
- Cui Y, Wang Y, Liu X , Chao Y, Xing X-M , Zhao C, Liu C-Y , Luo B. Genotypical analysis of Epstein-Barr virus isolates associated with nasopharyngeal carcinoma from Northern China. Intervirology. 2010;54(3):131-138.
- Wang Y, Liu X, Xing X, Cui Y, Zhao C, Luo B. Variations of Epstein-Barr virus nuclear antigen 1 gene in gastric carcinomas and nasopharyngeal carcinomas from Northern China. Virus Research. 2010;147(2):258-264.
- Armah H, Austin RM, Dabbs D, Zhao C (corresponding). Follow-Up Findings in women with HPV-positive ASCUS Screening test results in a large women hospital. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2009;133 (9):1426-30
- Sohrab P. Shah, Martin Köbel, Janine Senz, Ryan Morin, Blaise Clarke, Zhao C, Marra M, Huntsman DG. Mutation of the FOXL2 gene in granulosa cell tumors of the ovary. New Engl J Med. 2009;360(26):2719-29.
- Zhao C (corresponding), Florea A, Onisko A, Austin RM. Histologic fellow-up results in 662 patients with Pap test findings of atypical glandular cells: results from a large academic women hospital laboratory employing sensitive screening methods. Gynecol Oncol. 2009;114(3):383-389.
- Austin RM, Zhao C. Test group biases and ethical issues mar New England Journal of Medicine articles promoting HPV screening for cervical cancer in rural India. Cytojournal. 2009 Jul 16;6:12.
- Zhao C (corresponding), Raza A, Martin SE, Pan J, Greaves TS, Cobb CJ. Breast Fine Needle Aspiration Samples Reported as “Proliferative Breast Lesion”: Clinical Utility of the Subcategory “Proliferative Breast Lesion with Atypia”. Cancer Cytopathol 2009;117:137-147.
- Gur AS, Unal B, Zhao C, Johnson R, Edington H, Soran A. Lobular carcinoma in situ of the breast and ductoscopy. Breast J. 2010;16(3):318-320.
- Zhao C (corresponding), Vinh TN. McManus K, David D, Barner R, Russell V. Comparison of 6 immunohistochemical sex cord-stromal markers within and between 5 types of ovarian sex cord-stromal tumors: Optimizing the selection of a panel of diagnostic markers. Am J Surg Pathol. 2009;33:354-366
- Zhao C (corresponding) and Austin RM. High risk HPV DNA test result are useful for disease risk stratification in women with unsatisfactory liquid- based cytology Pap test results. J Low Genit Tract Dis. 2009;13(2):79-84
- Zhao C (corresponding), Austin RM, Pan J, Barr N, Martin SE, Raza A, Cobb C. Clinical Significance of Atypical Glandular Cells (AGC) in Conventional Pap Smears in a Large High Risk U.S. West Coast Minority Population. Acta Cytol. 2009;53:153-159