Urvashi Surti, PhD
Dr. Surti is a member of the Division of Gynecologic Pathology.
Associate Professor of Pathology
300 Halket Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Office Telephone: 412-641-4267
- MS - Carnegie Mellon University, 1969
- PhD - University of Pittsburgh, 1977
Clinical ExpertiseDr. Surti directs the Pittsburgh Cytogenetics Laboratory that was established in July 1999 to provide a comprehensive general cytogenetics service to Pittsburgh and the surrounding areas. A wide variety of tests are offered on metaphase chromosomes derived from peripheral blood lymphocytes, bone marrow cells, skin and placental fibroblasts, solid tumors and amniocytes. The laboratory offers high-resolution G-band chromosome analyses and a comprehensive molecular cytogenetics service involving fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH) for microdeletion syndromes (Prader-Willi/Angelman, Miller-Dieker, Williams, DiGeorge, Smith, Magenis, Cri-du-Chat, Wolf Hirschhorn, Kallman and Retinoblastoma). In addition, interphase FISH analysis is offered for rapid diagnosis of trisomies 13, 18, 21 and numerical sex chromosome abnormalities. Interphase FISH for several other probes including gene amplification of Her-2/neu in breast cancer is available using archived paraffin sections. The laboratory also offers high resolution ArrayCGH+ SNP analysis and currently performs >150 cases of microarrays per month. The laboratory operates in close collaboration with the Clinical Genetics Unit (MWH and CHP) and the Department of Pathology at MWH, and Hematopathology UPMC. The laboratory includes approximately 30 technologists, senior technologists, lab supervisors and a lab manager. In addition, there is one post-doctoral fellow and three faculty members.
Research InterestsDr. Surti's research involves genetics of gynecological tumors and delineation of cytogenetic abnormalities in abnormal conceptions using molecular cytogenetic techniques including in-situ hybridization and microarray analysis. Current projects include:
- Genetics of trophoblastic disease including molar pregnancies and choriocarcinoma using laser capture microdissection, CGH, and Genome Wide DNA and Expression Profiles
- Identification of submicroscopic cryptic chromosome rearrangements
- Genetics of male and female germ cell tumors
- Genetics of uterine leiomyomas, leiomyosarcomas, and ovarian cancer using CGH and expression arrays
- Role of Genomic imprinting in trophoblastic disease
- American Board of Medical Genetics - Clinical Cytogenetics, 1987-present
- State of Pennsylvania License - Director Clinical Cytogenetics Laboratories, 1987-present
- First in Class-Secondary School certificate exam, 1963
- National Merit Scholar, University of Bombay, India, 1964-1967
- NIH - New Investigator Award, 1983-1986
- Hu J, Sathanoori M, Kochmar S, Madan-Khetarpal S, McGuire M, Surti U. Co-existence of 9p Deletion and Silver-Russell Syndromes in a Patient With Maternally Inherited Cryptic Complex Chromosome Rearrangement Involving Chromosomes 4, 9 and 11. Am J Med Genet A Jan;161(1), 2013.
- Wilson AL, Swerdlow SH, Przybylski GK, Surti U, Choi JK, Campo E, Trucco MM, Van Oss SB, Felgar RE. Intestinal γδ T-cell Lymphomas are Most Frequently of Type II Enteropathy-Associated T-cell Type. Hum Pathol June;44(6):1131-45, 2013.
- Schultz R, Tsuchiya K, Furrow A, Slovak M, McDaniel LD, Wall M, Crawford E, Yi N, Saleki R, Fang M, Cawich V, Johnson CE, Minier SL, Neill NJ, Morton SA, Byerly S, Surti U, Brown TC, Ballif BC, Shaffer LG. CGH-based Microarray Detection of Cryptic and Novel Copy Number Alterations and Balanced Translocations in Cytogenetically Abnormal Cases of B-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Health 5:23-40, 2013.
- Pillai RK, Surti U, Swerdlow SH. Follicular Lymphoma (FL)-like B-cells of Uncertain Significance (in situ FL) May Infrequently Progress, But Precedes Many FL, Is Associated With Other Overt Lymphomas and Mimics FL in Flow Cytometric Studies. Hematologica Oct;98(10):1571-80, 2013.
- Gibson SE, Luo J, Sathanoori M, Liao J, Surti U, Michalopoulos GK, Swerdlow SH. Whole Genome Single Nucleotide Polymorphism Array Analysis is Complementary to Classical Cytogenetic Analysis in the Evaluation of Lymphoid Proliferations. Am J Clin Pathol 141(2):247-55, 2014.
- Peterson JF, Ghaloul-Gonzalez L, Madan-Khetarpal S, Hartman J, Surti U, Rajkovic A, and Yatsenko S. Familial Microduplication of 17q23.1-q23.2 Involving TBX4 is Associated With Congenital Clubfoot and Reduced Penetrance in Females. Am J Med Genet 164A(2):364-9, 2014.
- Peterson JF, Thakur P, Peffer A, Kolthoff M, Kochmar SJ, Surti U. Seizure Disorder in a Patient With a 5.09 Mb 7q11.23-q21.11 Microdeletion Including the MAGI2 Gene. AGT 40(1):16-21, 2014.
- Nguyen NM, Zhang L, Reddy R, Déry C, Arseneau J, Cheung A, Surti U, Hoffner L, Seoud M, Zaatari G, Bagga R, Srinivasan L, Coullin P, AO A, Slim R. Comprehensive genotype-phenotype correlations between NLRP7 mutations and the balance between embryonic tissue differentiation and trophoblastic proliferation. J. Med Genet (9):623-34, 2014.
- Beck M, Peterson JF, McConnell J, McGuire M, Asato M, Losee JE, Surti U, Madan-Khetarpal S, Rajkovic A, Yatsenko SA. Craniofacial Abnormalities and Developmental Delay in Two Families With Overlapping 22q12.1 Microdeletions Involving the MN1 Gene. Am J Med Genet 167A(5):1047-53, 2015.
- AlAsiri S, Basit S, Wood M, Yatsenko SA, Jeffries EP, Surti U, Ketterer DM, Afzal S, Ramzan K, Faiyaz-Ul Haque M, Jiang H, Trakselis MA, Rajkovic A. Exome Sequencing Identifies MCM8 Mutation in Ovarian Failure and Chromosomal Instability. Journal of Clinical Investigation 125(1):258-62, 2015.
- Wood-Trageser MA, Gurbuz F, Yatsenko SA, Jeffries EP, Kotan LD, Surti U, Ketterer DM, Matic J, Jiang H, Trakselis MA, Topaloglu AK, Rajkovic A. Exome Sequencing Identifies MCM9 Mutations in Ovarian Failure, Short Stature and Chromosomal Instability. American Journal of Human Genetics 95(6):754-62, 2014.
- Steinberg KM, Schneider VA, Graves-Lindsay T, Fulton RS, Agarwala R, Huddleston J, Shiryev S, Morgulis A, Surti U, Warren WC, Church DM, Eichler EE, Wilson RK. Single Haplotype Assembly of the Human Genome From a Hydatidiform Mole. Genome Research 24(12):2066-76, 2014.
- Chaisson MJP, Huddleston J, Dennis MY, Sudmant PH, Malig M, Hormozdiari F, Surti U, Sandstrom R, Boitano M, Landolin J, Stamatoyannopoulos JA, Hunkapiller MW, Wilson RK, Korlach J, Eichler EE. Increased Complexity of the Human Genome Revealed by Single-Molecule Sequencing. Nature 517(7536):608-11, 2015.
- Peters DG, Yatsenko SA, Surti U, Rajkovic A. Recent Advances of Genomic Testing in Perinatal Medicine. Seminars in Perinatology 39(1):44-54, 2015.
- Tandon B, Swerdlow SH, Hasserjian RP, Surti U, Gibson SE. Chronic lymphocytic leukemia/small lymphocytic lymphoma: another neoplasm related to the B-cell follicle? Leuk Lymphoma. 2015 May 26:1-9 [Epub ahead of print]
- Hu J, Sathanoori M, Kochmar S, Azage M, Mann S, Madan-Khetarpal S, Goldstein A, Surti U. A novel maternally inherited 8q24.3 and a rare paternally inherited 14g23.3 CNVs in a family with neurodevelopmental disorders. Am J Med Genet A. 2015 Apr 10. [Epub ahead of print]
Awards and Honors
Selected PublicationsView Dr. Surti's publications on PubMed