Uma N. M. Rao, MD
Professor of Pathology
Dr. Uma Rao is a member of the Division of Anatomic Pathology and Director of the Bone, Soft Tissue, and Melanoma Center of Excellence.
Department of Pathology WG2.9
5230 Centre Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15232
Office Telephone: 412-623-2319
Lab Telephone: 412-623-2318
Dr. Rao is a surgical pathologist interested in Oncology in general with focus on bone and soft tissue tumors and melanoma. Her diagnostic and research interests include utilization of Cytogenetic, Immunohistochemical and Molecular techniques in the analysis of these neoplasms.
She is the Director of the ACGME approved Bone and Soft tissue Pathology Fellowship program at UPMC.
Dr. Rao is active in teaching and mentoring Pathology and Podiatry residents and Dermatology Fellows who rotate in Bone Soft tissue and Melanoma bench
- MBBS - Government Medical College, Mysore University, Mysore, India, 1968
Bone and Soft Tissue
Dr. Rao cooperates with orthopedic oncology, medical oncology, and radiology in pathological diagnosis and patient care activities. She Participates in general surgical pathology intraoperative consultations at UPMC Shadyside and is a consultant for interdepartmental and extradepartmental cases.
MelanomaDr. Rao is the reference pathologist for the melanoma center at UPCI. She is an active and major participant in the Melanoma section of the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group and involved in multicenter and UPCI clinical trials.
Research InterestsDr. Rao's research interests are in utilizing conventional cytogenetics, FISH, comparative genomic hybridization and other molecular and immunohistochemical techniques for the analysis of changes occurring in early and late stages of tumor progression, specifically in melanomas, soft tissue and bone sarcomas.
Selected PublicationsView Dr. Rao's publications on PubMed
- Ossifying Fibromyxoid Tumor: a study of 6 cases of atypical and malignant variants. Dantey K, Schoedel K, Yergiyev O, McGough R, Palekar A, Rao UN. Hum Pathol. 2016 Nov 2. pii: S0046-8177(16)30283-0. doi: 10.1016/j.humpath.2016.10.012. [Epub ahead of print] PMID:27816723
- CDK8 Expression in Extrauterine Leiomyosarcoma Correlates With Tumor Stage and Progression. Yergiyev O, Garib G, Schoedel K, Palekar A, Bartlett D, Rao UN. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol. 2016 Jul 6. [Epub ahead of print] PMID:27389556
- Purgina B, Nalesnik M, Cieply k, Fuhrer K, Goodman M, Mc Gough R and Rao UNM (2014) Immunohistochemical and Fluorescence In Situ Hybridization Analysis of Angiosarcoma of Soft Tissue and Bone Including those Occurring in Unusual Backgrounds. J Clin Exp Pathol 4:171. doi: 10.4172/2161-0681.1000171.2014. April 21.
- Wang, Tao; McGough, Richard; Goodman Mark; Weiss, Kurt and Rao, UNM. Immunohistochemical Analysis Of Expression Of RB1, CDK4,HSP90, cPLA2G4A And CHMP2B Is Helpful In Distinction Of Myxofibrosarcoma And Myxoid Liposarcoma International journal of surgical pathology( accepted 3/2014)
- Wang T, Giugale JM, Ding M, Goodman MA, Schoedel K, Rao UN.Primary Intraosseous Schwannoma of Bone in Tibial Epiphysis With Unique Immunohistochemical Phenotype: A Case Report.Int J Surg Pathol. 2013 Dec 9. [Epub ahead of print]
- Tarhini A, Edington H, Butterfield LH, Lin Y, Shuai Y, Tawbi H, Sander C, Yin Y, Holtzman M, Johnson J, Rao UN, Kirkwood JM. Immune monitoring of the circulation and the tumor microenvironment in patients with regionally advanced melanoma receiving neoadjuvant ipilimumab. PLoS One. 2014 Feb 3;9(2):e87705. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0087705. eCollection 2014.
- Naveh HP, Rao UN, Butterfield LH. Melanoma-associated leukoderma - immunology in black and white? Pigment Cell Melanoma Res. 2013 Nov;26(6):796-804. doi: 10.1111/pcmr.12161. Epub 2013 Oct 9.
- Rao Uma N. M., Hood Brian L., Jones-Laughner Jacqueline M., Sun Mai, Conrads Thomas P. Distinct Profiles of oxidative stress-related and matrix proteins in adult bone and soft tissue osteosarcoma and desmoids tumors: A proteomics study. Human Pathology. 2013; 44:725-3.
- Tarhini AA, Edington H, Butterfield LH, Lin Y, Shuai Y, Tawbi H, Sander C, Yin Y, Holtzman M, Johnson J, Rao UN, Kirkwood JM. Immune monitoring of the circulation and the tumor microenvironment in patients with regionally advanced melanoma receiving neoadjuvant ipilimumab. PLoS One. 2014 Feb 3;9(2):e87705. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0087705. eCollection 2014.
- Wang, Tao; McGough, Richard; Goodman Mark; Weiss, Kurt and Rao, UNM. Immunohistochemical Analysis Of Expression Of RB1, CDK4,HSP90, cPLA2G4A And CHMP2B Is Helpful In Distinction Of Myxofibrosarcoma And Myxoid Liposarcoma International journal of surgical pathology.2014.22; 589-99.
- Tao Wang, Giugale JM, Ding M, Goodman M, Schoedel K, Rao UNM. Primary intraosseous schwannoma of bone in tibial epiphysis with unique immunohistochemical phenotype: a case report. Internaitional J Surg Pathol. 2014 .22;574-8.
- Hodi FS, Lee S, McDermott DF, Rao UN, Butterfield LH, Tarhini A, Leming P, Puzanov I, Shin D, Kirkwood JM. Ipilimumab plus sargramostim vs ipilimumab alone for treatment of metastatic melanoma: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA. 2014 Nov 5;312(17):1744-53
- Zeh HJ, Downs-Canner S, McCart JA, Guo ZS, Rao UN, Ramalingam L, Thorne SH, Jones HL, Kalinski P, Wieckowski E, O'Malley ME, Daneshmand M, Hu K, Bell JC, Hwang TH, Moon A, Breitbach CJ, Kirn DH, Bartlett DL. First-in-man Study of Western Reserve Strain Oncolytic Vaccinia Virus: Safety, Systemic Spread, and Antitumor Activity. Mol Ther. 2014 Oct 8. [Epub ahead of print]
- Paraiso KH, Das Thakur M, Fang B, Koomen JM, Fedorenko IV, John JK, Tsao H, Flaherty KT, Sondak VK, Messina JL, Pasquale EB, Villagra A, Rao UN, Kirkwood JM, Meier F, Sloot S, Gibney GT, Stuart D, Tawbi H, Smalley KS. Ligand independent EphA2 signaling drives the adoption of a targeted therapy-mediated metastatic melanoma phenotype. Cancer Discov. 2014 Dec 26. [Epub ahead of print]
- Shin D, Sinha M, Kondziolka DS, Kirkwood JM, Rao UN, Tarhini AA Intermediate-grade meningeal melanocytoma associated with nevus of Ota: a case report and review of the literature. Melanoma Res. 2015 Apr 29. [Epub ahead of print]
- CDK8 Expression in Extrauterine Leiomyosarcoma Correlates With Tumor Stage and Progression. Yergiyev O, Garib G, Schoedel K, Palekar A, Bartlett D, Rao UN. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol. 2016 Jul 6. [Epub ahead of print]