Parmjeet S. Randhawa, MD
Professor of Pathology
Dr. Randhawa is a member of the Division of Transplantation Pathology.
Division of Transplantation Pathology
Department of Pathology
UPMC-Montefiore, Room E-737
3459 5th Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Office Phone: 412-647-7646
Dr. Randhawa is one of five pathologists in the Division of Transplant Pathology. He has special expertise in the evaluation of native and kidney transplant biopsies. Difficult consult cases in this area are regularly referred to him for his opinion. He is the Course Director of a weekly multidisciplinary clinical conference on kidney allograft pathology. He is an established investigator with a long history of successful funding in the area of polyomavirus infections after kidney transplantation. He teaches medical students, residents and fellows and is regular speaker in national and international meetings focusing on renal transplantation.
Pathologic evaluation of native, donor and allograft liver, kidney and heart, allograft small intestine and pancreas biopsies and surgical resections. He is lead patholgist for the University of Pittsburgh Kidney Transplantation Program with unmatched experience in the light microscopic, immunofluorescence and ultratructural evaluation of kidney biopsies.
Dr. Randhawa's has directed a well funded research virology laboratory for the past 12 years. He has worked with post-doctoral fellows, medical technologists, residents, fellows, and medical students on projects ranging from renal transplantation and polyoma viral infections, to Epstein-Barr virus associated post-transplant lymphoproliferative disease (PTLD).
Anatomic Pathology, Transplantation Pathology, Hepatic Pathology, Renal Pathology
Honors and Awards
- Associate Editor, American Journal of Transplantation (2012) & American Journal of Kidney Diseases (2011)
- Founding Member, American Society of Transplantation, Transplant Diagnostics Community of Practice, 2011
- Mentorship, Stephen Vogel Award, in recognition of an outstanding paper published by a resident or fellow in a journal of the US & Canadian Academy of Pathology, 2010.
- Distinguished Alumnus Award, University of Delhi, 2009.
- Fellowship, National Center for Drug Discovery in Neurodegeneration, Harvard Medical School, 2009
- Mentorship, College of American Pathologists Research, Scholars Grant, 2009
- Chair, Special Emphasis Panel, Urologic & Kid Development & Genitourinary Diseases Study Section, April 2009
- Distinguished Alumnus Award, Maulana Azad Medical College, Delhi University, 2009
- Co-chair, Early Morning Workshop on BK virus, World Transplant Congress, Sydney, August 2008
- Chair, Sunrise Symposium, State of the Art; BK virus and Polyomavirus Allograft Nephropathy, American Transplant Congress, San Francisco, May 2007
- Mentorship Award for Thomas E. Starzl Institute Fellow in Transplantation Biology, 2007
- Fellowship of The American Society of Nephrology, 2004
- Co-chair, Free Communications Session: BKV nephropathy, Am Soc Nephrology Meeting, San Diego, 2003
- Chair: Plenary Session: Viral Infection in Allografts. Banff Congress on Allograft Pathology, Banff, Alberta, 2001
- Member of Editorial Board, Journal of Transplantation, Liver Transplantation, World Journal of Gastroenterologic Oncology, Aegian Journal of Pathology, Indian Journal of Biotechnology
Selected PublicationsView Dr. Randhawa's publications on PubMed
- Batal I, Azzi J, El-Haddad N, Riella LV, Lunz III JG, Zeevi A, Sasatomi E, Basu A, Tan H, Shapiro R, and Randhawa P. Immunohistochemical Markers of Tissue Injury in Biopsies with Transplant Glomerulitis. Human Pathology, Jan;43(1):69-80, 2012.
- Luo C, Hirsch H, Kant J, Randhawa P. VP-1 Quasispecies in Human Infection with Polyomavirus BK. J Med Virol, Jan;84(1): 152-61, 2012.
- Lunz J, Ruppert K, Cajaiba M, Isse K, Minervini M, Nalesnik, M, Randhawa P, Rubin E, Sasatomi E, Fontes P, Humar A, Zeevi A, Demetris A. Re-examination of the lymphocytic cross match in liver transplantation: can C4d stains help in monitoring? Am J Transplant Jan;12(1): 171-182, 2012
- Masutani K, Shapiro R, Basu A, Tan H, Wikjstrom M, Randhawa P. The Banff 2009 Working Proposal for Polyomavirus Nephropathy: a critical evaluation of its utility as a determinant of clinical outcome. Am J Transplant, 2012 Apr;12(4):907-18.
- Macedo C, Walters JT, Orkis E, Isse K, Elinoff B, Fedorek S, McMichael M, Chalasani G, Randhawa P, Demetris A, Zeevi A, Tan H, Shapiro R, Lakkis F, Metes D. Long-term effects of Alemtuzumab induction on regulatory and memory T-cell subsets and their relationship to clinical outcome in kidney transplant recipients. Transplantation 2012 Apr 27;93(8):813-21.
- Masutani K, McMichael J, Donaldson J, Shapiro R, Basu A, Tan H, Ninomiya T, and Randhawa P. Putative episodes of T-cell mediated rejection in patients with sustained BK viruria but no viremia. Transplantation, 94: 43-49, 2012.
- Pastrana DV, Brennan DC, Cuburu N, Storch GA, Viscidi RP, Randhawa PS, Buck CB. Neutralizing serotyping of BK polyomavirus infection in kidney transplant recipients. PLoS Pathogens, 8: e1002650, 2012.
- Adeyi O, Alexander G, Baiocchi L, Balasubramanian M, Batal I, O C BC, Bhan A, Bridges N, Bucuvalas J, Charlotte F, Colvin B, Czaja A, Demetris A, Devera M, S EM, Feng S, Ferrell L, Fiel Maria I, Fontes P, Fung J, Haga H, Hart J, Honsova E, Hubscher S, Wesam I, Itoh T, Jhala N, Jungmann P, Khettry U, Koshiba T, Lassman C, Lerut J, Ligato S, Lunz J, Mazariegos G, McCaughan G, A MS, I MM, Misdraji J, Mohanakumar T, Molne J, Musat A, Nalesnik M, Nasser I, Neil D, Neuberger J, Pappo O, Petrovic L, Randhawa P, P RF, Rubin E, Ruiz P, Sagol O, Sanchez F, Sasatomi E, Schiano T, Sebagh M, Shaked A, Sharkey Francis E, Shimizu T, Sis B, Smith M, Sonzogni A, Tchao N, Thung S, Tisone G, Tsamandas A, Wernerson A, Wu T, Yilmaz F; Importance of liver biopsy findings in immunosuppression management: biopsy monitoring and working criteria for patients with operational tolerance. The Banff Working Group on Liver Allograft Pathology. Liver Transpl. 18: 1154-70, 2012.
- Randhawa P, Mannon RB. A case of late kidney allograft failure. A clinico-pathologic conference from American Society of Nephrology Kidney Week 2011. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol, 2012, 11: 1884-89.
- Momper JD, Zhao Y, Shapiro R, Schonder KS, Yao G, Randhawa PS, Venkataramanan R. Pharmacokinetics of low-dose cidofovir in kidney transplant recipients with BK virus infection. Transpl Infect Dis. 15:34-41, 2013.
- Randhawa PS and Borislav Alexiev (equal contribution authors, Gang Zeng, Chunquing Luo, Eduardo Vazquez Martul,Cinthia B. Drachenberg,and John C. Papadimitriou. BK Virus Associated Urinary Bladder Carcinoma in Transplant Recipients: Proposed pathogenetic model. Human Pathology. 44: 908-917, 2013.
- Mengel M, Samantha Chan, Jessie Climenhaga, Yael B Kushner, Heinz Regele, Robert B Colvin, Randhawa PS. Banff Initiative For Quality Assurance in Transplantation (BIFQUIT):Reproducibility assessment for C4d immunohistochemistry in kidney allografts. Am J Transplant. 13: 1235-45, 2013.
- Mengel M, Campbell P, Gebel H, Randhawa P, Rodriguez ER, Colvin R, Conway J, Hachem R, Halloran P, Keshavjee S, Nickerson P, Murphyey C, O'Leary J, Reeve J, Tinckam K, Reed EF. Precision diagnostics in transplantation:from bench to bedside. Am J Transplantation 2013: 13: 562-8.
- Hirsch HH, Randhawa P: AST Infectious Diseases Community of Practice. BK polyomavirus in solid organ transplantation. Am J Transplant 2013:13 (suppl 4): 179-188.
- Masutani K, Ninomiya T, Randhawa P. HLA-A2, HLA-B44 and HLA-DR15 are associated with lower risk of BK viremia. Nephrol Dial Transplant 28:3119-3126, 2013.
- Castilo-Rama M, Sebagh M, Sasatomi E, Randhawa P, Isse K, Salgarkar AD, Ruppert K, Humar A, Demetris AJ. Plasma Cell Hepatitis" in Liver Allografts: Identification and Characterization of an IgG4-Rich Cohort. Am J Transplant. 2013, 13: 2966-77. .
- Zeng Q, Sheriff KA, Ng Y-H, Zahalka S, Li Q, Ramaswami B, Randhawa P, Hoffman R, Lund FE, Chalasani G: B cells mediate chronic allograft rejection independent of antibody production. J Clin Invest. 2014, 124: 1052-56.
- Haas M, Sis B, Racusen LC, Solez K, Glotz D, Colvin RB, Castro MC, David DS, David-Neto E, Bagnasco SM, Cendales LC, Cornell LD, Demetris AJ, Drachenberg CB, Farver CF, Farris AB 3rd, Gibson IW, Kraus E, Liapis H, Loupy A, Nickeleit V, Randhawa P, Rodriguez ER, Rush D, Smith RN, Tan CD, Wallace WD, Mengel M. Banff 2013 meeting report: inclusion of c4d-negative antibody-mediated rejection and antibody-associated arterial lesions. Am J Transplant. 2014, 14(2): 272-83.
- Randhawa P*, Adam B*, (*Equal Contribution Authors) Chan S, Zeng G, Regele H, Kushner Y, Colvin RB, Reeve J and Mengel M: Banff Initiative for Quality Assurance in Transplantation (BIFQUIT): Reproducibility of Polyomavirus Immunohistochemistry in Kidney Allografts. Am J Transplant 2014, 14: 2137-47.
- Georgievskaya Z, Nowalk AJ, Randhawa P, Picarsic J. Bartonella henselae endocarditis and glomerulonephritis with dominant C3 deposition in a 21 year old male with a Melody transcatheter pulmonary valve. Pediatric Developmental Biology, 2014: 17: 312-20.
- P. Randhawa, G. Zeng, M. Bueno-Fernandez, A. Salgarkar, A. Lesniak, MS, K. Isse, K. Seyb, A. Perry, I. Charles, C.Hustus, M. Huang, M.Smith, M. Glicksman. Inhibition of large T antigen ATPase activity a potential strategy to develop anti-JCV drugs. Antiviral Research, 2014: 112: 113-119.
- Randhawa P, Pastrana DV, Zeng G, Huang Y, Shapiro R, Sood P, Puttarajappa C, Berger M, Hariharan S, Buck CB: Commercially available immunoglobulins contain virus neutralizing antibodies against all major genotypes of polyomavirus BK. Am J Transplant. 2015 Apr;15(4):1014-20. doi: 10.1111/ajt.13083.
- Sis B, Bagnasco SM, Cornell LD, Randhawa P, Haas M, Lategan B, Magil AB, Herzenberg AM, Gibson IW, Kuperman M, Sasaki K, Kraus ES; Banff Working Group: Isolated endarteritis and kidney transplant survival: a multicenter collaborative study. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2015 May;26(5):1216-27. doi: 10.1681/ASN.2014020157.
- Sood P, Randhawa PS, Mehta R, Hariharan S, Tevar AD: Donor kidney microthrombi and outcomes of kidney transplant: a single-center experience. Clin Transplant. 2015 May;29(5):434-8. doi: 10.1111/ctr.12539.
- Randhawa P: T-cell-mediated rejection of the kidney in the era of donor-specific antibodies: diagnostic challenges and clinical significance. Curr Opin Organ Transplant. 2015 Jun;20(3):325-32. doi: 10.1097/MOT.0000000000000189