John A. Ozolek, MD
Assistant Professor of Pathology
Dr. Ozolek is a member of the Division of Pediatric Pathology.
Department of Pathology, B260
Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh
4401 Penn Avenue
Pittsburgh PA 15224
Office Telephone: 412-692-5641
Department Telephone: 412-692-5641
- BS - 1985, Case Western Reserve University
- MD - 1989, University of Pittsburgh
Awards and Honors
- National Dean's List
- Russell M. Lawall Prize in Biological Sciences (Awarded to graduating Case Institute of Technology student for outstanding undergraduate) performance in biological sciences
- Health Professions Scholarship Program (Scholarship recipient from the United States Air Force)
- Style and Grace Award (Awarded for exemplary professionalism at Keesler Medical Center)
- Air Force Achievement Medal
- Outstanding Junior Resident in Autopsy Pathology
- Outstanding Web Case Publication in Anatomic Pathology
- Chief Resident in Anatomic Pathology
- Best Poster Presentation in Otorhinolaryngology-Head and Neck Pathology at the 94th Annual Meeting of the United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology
- Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine
- Anatomic Pathology
- Pediatric Pathology
- United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology
- Society for Pediatric Pathology
Clinical ExpertiseClinical interests include pathology of the head and neck in children including the pathogenesis of branchial cleft and other developmental abnormalities seen in the head and neck of children. Other clinical interests include neuropathology, Hirschsprung disease and other abnormalities of the enteric nervous system and liver pathology
Research InterestsDr. Ozolek's scientific interests center on image analysis for the detection of specific tissue types and classification of challenging diagnostic dilemmas in surgical pathology. He has extensive collaborations with Drs. Kovacevic and Rohde at the Center for Bioimage Informatics at Carnegie Mellon University to develop algorithms and computational approaches for automating tissue recognition, correlation of histology and high-resolution magnetic resonance images in teratomas derived from human and non-human primate stem cells, and to developing computational morphometric technology for applications in cell biology and medicine. He also has an active collaboration with Dr. David Hackam, Chief of Pediatric Surgery at Johns Hopkins University and Dr. Misty Good of UPMC Division of Newborn Medicine to investigate mediators of necrotizing enterocolitis in preterm infants He is a funded participant as a pathology consultant for Dr. David Hackam's RO1 grant investigating regulation of toll receptors in necrotizing enterocolitis.
Selected PublicationsView Dr. Ozolek's publications on PubMed
- Monaco SE, Pantanowitz L, Khalbuss WE, Benkovich VA, Ozolek J, Nikiforova MN, Simons JP, Nikiforov YE. Cytomorphological and molecular genetic findings in pediatric thyroid fine-needle aspiration. Cancer Cytopathol. 2012 May 17. doi: 10.1002/cncy.21199. [Epub ahead of print].
- Afrazi A, Sodhi CP, Good M, Jia H, Siggers R, Yazji I, Ma C, Neal MD, Prindle T, Grant ZS, Branca MF, Ozolek J, Chang EB, Hackam DJ. Intracellular Heat Shock Protein-70 Negatively Regulates TLR4 Signaling in the Newborn Intestinal Epithelium. J Immunol. 2012 May 1;188(9):4543-57. Epub 2012 Mar 28.
- Michael T. McCann, Ramamurthy Bhagavatula, Matthew C. Fickus, John A. Ozolek, and Jelena Kovacevic. Automated colitis detection from endoscopic biopsies as a tissue screening tool in diagnostic pathology. 2012 19th IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP). Digital Object Identifier: 10.1109/ICIP.2012.6467483 Page(s): 2809 - 2812.
- Easley CA 4th, Miki T, Castro CA, Ozolek JA, Minervini CF, Ben-Yehudah A, Schatten GP. Human Amniotic Epithelial Cells are Reprogrammed More Efficiently by Induced Pluripotency than Adult Fibroblasts. Cell Reprogram 2012 Jun;14(3):193-203.
- Ranganathan S, Zeevi A, Ozolek J, Venkat V, Soltys K, Mazariegos G, Sindhi R. Autoimmunity, alloimmunity, and chronic liver allograft injury. Pediatr Transplant. 2012 Jun 13. doi: 10.1111/j.1399-3046.2012.01757.x. [Epub ahead of print].
- Sodhi CP, Neal MD, Siggers R, Sho S, Ma C, Branca MF, Prindle T Jr, Russo AM, Afrazi A, Good M, Brower-Sinning R, Firek B, Morowitz MJ, Ozolek JA, Gittes GK, Billiar TR, Hackam DJ. Intestinal Epithelial Toll-like Receptor 4 Regulates Goblet Cell Development and Is Required for Necrotizing Enterocolitis in Mice. Gastroenterology. 2012 Jul 13. [Epub ahead of print].
- Neal MD, Sodhi CP, Jia H, Dyer M, Egan C, Yazji I, Good M, Afrazi A, Marino R, Slagle D, Ma C, Branca MF, Prindle T, Grant Z, Ozolek J, Hackam DJ. Toll like receptor 4 is expressed on intestinal stem cells and regulates their proliferation and apoptosis via the p53-upregulated modulator of apoptosis. J Biol Chem. 2012 Sep 6. [Epub ahead of print].
- Gheorghe G, Radu OM, Milanovich S, Hamilton RL, Jaffe R, Southern JF, Ozolek JA. Pathology of central nervous system post-transplant lymphoproliferative disorders: lessons from pediatric autopsies. Pediatr Dev Pathol. 2013 Jan 3. [Epub ahead of print].
- Neal MD, Sodhi CP, Dyer M, Craig BT, Good M, Jia H, Yazji I, Afrazi A, Richardson WM, Beer-Stolz D, Ma C, Prindle T, Grant Z, Branca MF, Ozolek J, Hackam DJ. A Critical Role for TLR4 Induction of Autophagy in the Regulation of Enterocyte Migration and the Pathogenesis of Necrotizing Enterocolitis. J Immunol. 2013 Mar 1. [Epub ahead of print].
- J. F. Moreau, John A. Ozolek, P. Ling Lin, et al., "Chronic Granulomatous Disease Presenting as Aseptic Ascites in a 2-Year-Old Child," Case Reports in Immunology, vol. 2013, Article ID 927897, 5 pages, 2013. doi:10.1155/2013/927897.
- Chen C, Wang W, Ozolek JA, Rohde GK. A flexible and robust approach for segmenting cell nuclei from 2D microscopy images using supervised learning and template matching. Cytometry A. 2013 Apr 8. doi: 10.1002/cyto.a.22280. [Epub ahead of print].
- Filipe Condessa, Jose Bioucas-Dias, Carlos A. Castro, John A. Ozolek, and Jelena Kovacevic. Classification with reject option using contextual information (Presented at the 2013 IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging, April 2013 San Francisco).
- Yazji I, Sodhi CP, Lee EK, Good M, Egan CE, Afrazi A, Neal MD, Jia H, Lin J, Ma C, Branca MF, Prindle T, Richardson WM, Ozolek J, Billiar TR, Binion DG, Gladwin MT, Hackam DJ. Endothelial TLR4 activation impairs intestinal microcirculatory perfusion in necrotizing enterocolitis via eNOS-NO-nitrite signaling. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013 May 6. [Epub ahead of print].
- Wang W, Slep?ev D, Basu S, Ozolek JA, Rohde GK. A linear optimal transportation framework for quantifying and visualizing variations in sets of images. Int J Comput Vis. 2013 Jan 1;101(2):254-269.
- Neal MD, Jia H, Eyer B, Good M, Guerriero CJ, Sodhi CP, Afrazi A, Prindle T Jr, Ma C, Branca M, Ozolek J, Brodsky JL, Wipf P, Hackam DJ. Discovery and Validation of a New Class of Small Molecule Toll-Like Receptor 4 (TLR4) Inhibitors. PLoS One. 2013 Jun 12;8(6):e65779. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0065779. Print 2013.
- Afrazi A, Branca MF, Sodhi CP, Good M, Yamaguchi Y, Egan CE, Lu P, Jia H, Shaffiey S, Lin J, Ma C, Vincent G, Prindle T Jr, Weyandt S, Neal MD, Ozolek JA, Wiersch J, Tschurtschenthaler M, Shiota C, Gittes GK, Billiar TR, Mollen KP, Kaser A, Blumberg R, Hackam DJ. Toll Like Receptor 4-mediated Endoplasmic Reticulum Stress in Intestinal Crypts Induces Necrotizing Enterocolitis. J Biol Chem. 2014 Feb 11. [Epub ahead of print].
- McCann MT, Mixon DG, Fickus MC, Castro CA, Ozolek JA, Kovacevic J. Images as occlusions of textures: a framework for segmentation. IEEE Trans Image Process. 2014 May;23(5):2033-46. doi: 10.1109/TIP.2014.2307475.
- Good M, Sodhi CP, Ozolek JA, Buck RH, Goehring KC, Thomas DL, Vikram A, Bibby K, Morowitz MJ, Firek B, Lu P, Hackam DJ. Lactobacillus rhamnosus HN001 decreases the severity of necrotizing enterocolitis in neonatal mice and preterm piglets: evidence in mice for a role of TLR9. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2014 Apr 17. [Epub ahead of print].
- Ozolek JA, Tosun AB, Wang W, Chen C, Kolouri S, Basu S, Huang H, Rohde GK. Accurate diagnosis of thyroid follicular lesions from nuclear morphology using supervised learning. Med Image Anal. 2014 Jul;18(5):772-80. doi: 10.1016/j.media.2014.04.004. Epub 2014 Apr 21.
- Huang H, Tosun AB, Guo J, Chen C, Wang W, Ozolek JA, Rohde GK. Cancer diagnosis by nuclear morphometry using spatial information. Pattern Recognit Lett. 2014 Jun 1;42:115-121.
- Bhagavatula R, McCann MT, Fickus M, Castro CA, Ozolek JA, Kovacevic J. A vocabulary for the identification and delineation of teratoma tissue components in hematoxylin and eosin-stained samples. J Pathol Inform. 2014 Jun 30;5:19. doi: 10.4103/2153-3539.135606. eCollection 2014.
- Gustavo Rohde, John Ozolek, Anil Parwani, Liron Pantanowitz. CMU bioimaging day 2014: Challenges and opportunities in digital pathology. J Pathol Inform 2014;5:32.
- Eisses JF, Davis AW, Tosun AB, Dionise ZR, Chen C, Ozolek JA, Rohde GK, Husain SZ. A computer-based automated algorithm for assessing acinar cell loss after experimental pancreatitis. PLoS One. 2014 Oct 24;9(10):e110220. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0110220. eCollection 2014.
- Yilmaz S, Ozolek JA, Zammerilla LL, Fitz CR, Grunwaldt LJ, Crowley JJ. Neurofibromas with imaging characteristics resembling vascular anomalies. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2014 Dec;203(6):W697-705. doi: 10.2214/AJR.13.12409.
- Le T, Eisses JF, Lemon KL, Ozolek JA, Pociask DA, Orabi AI, Husain SZ. Intraductal infusion of taurocholate followed by distal common bile duct ligation leads to a severe necrotic model of pancreatitis in mice. Pancreas. 2014 Dec 2. [Epub ahead of print].
- Buryk MA, Simons JP, Picarsic JL, Monaco SE, Ozolek JA, Joyce J, Gurtunca N, Nikiforov YE, Witchel SF. Can malignant thyroid nodules be distinguished from benign thyroid nodules in children and adolescents by clinical characteristics? A review of 89 pediatric patients with thyroid nodules. Thyroid. 2015 Jan 27. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 25627462 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher].
- Sodhi CP, Jia H, Yamaguchi Y, Lu P, Good M, Egan C, Ozolek J, Zhu X, Billiar TR, Hackam DJ. Intestinal epithelial TLR-4 activation is required for the development of acute lung injury after trauma/hemorrhagic shock via the release of hmgb1 from the gut. J Immunol. 2015 Apr 10. pii: 1402490. [Epub ahead of print].
- Good M, Sodhi CP, Egan CE, Afrazi A, Jia H, Yamaguchi Y, Lu P, Branca MF, Ma C, Prindle T Jr, Mielo S, Pompa A, Hodzic Z, Ozolek JA, Hackam DJ. Breast milk protects against the development of necrotizing enterocolitis through inhibition of Toll-like receptor 4 in the intestinal epithelium via activation of the epidermal growth factor receptor. Mucosal Immunol. 2015 Apr 22. doi: 10.1038/mi.2015.30. [Epub ahead of print].
- Ozolek JA, Cohen DE, Kool M, Pfister SM, Korshunov A, Bukowinski AJ, Davis AW. Medulloepithelioma with peculiar clinical presentation, stem cell phenotype and aberrant DNA methylation profile. CNS Oncol. 2015 Jun 29:1-10. [Epub ahead of print].