Shih-Fan Kuan, MD, PhD
Associate Professor of Pathology
Dr. Kuan is a surgical pathologist with a subspecialty focus in gastrointestinal pathology.
UPMC Presbyterian Hospital
200 Lothrop Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Office Telephone: 412-647-1248
- MD - National Taiwan University, Taipei, 1977
- PhD - University of California, San Francisco, 1988
Clinical ExpertiseDr. Kuan is a surgical pathologist with a subspecialty focused in gastrointestinal pathology.
Research InterestsDr. Kuan is a gastrointestinal surgical pathologist. His research interests are centered around 3 main areas:
- Molecular classification of colorectal cancer and its carcinogenesis pathways
- The serrated neoplastic pathway in colorectal cancer including microsatellite instable colon cancer and its precursors (SSA, TSA, mixed polyps)
- Regulation and expression of mucin glycoprotein family (MUC1 to MUC6) in normal, premalignant, and malignant cells and tissue in the GI tract
Selected PublicationsView Dr. Kuan's publications on PubMed
- Kuan SF, Navina S, Cressman KL, Pai RK. Immunohistochemical detection of BRAF V600E mutant protein using the VE1 antibody in colorectal carcinoma is highly concordant with molecular testing but requires vigorous antibody optimization. Human Pathol 2014; 45:464-72
- Davison JM, Ellis ST, Foxwell TJ, Luketich JD, Gibson MK, Kuan SF, Nason KS. MUC2 expression is an adverse prognostic factor in superficial gastroesophageal adenocarcinomas. Human Pathol 2014; 45: 540-8
- Pai RK, Hartman DJ, Gonzalo DH, Lai KK, Goldblum JR, Kuan SF, Nikiforova MN, Pai RK. Serrated lesions of the appendix frequently habor KRAS mutations and not BRAF mutations indicating distinctly different serrated neoplastic pathway in the appendix. Human Pathol 2014; 45:227-35.
- Boichuck S, Lee DJ, Mehalek KR, Kuan SF, Debiec-Rychter M, Duensing A. Unbiased compound screening identifies unexpected drug sensitivities and novel treatment options for gastrointestinal stromal tumors. Cancer Res2014; 74:1200-13.
- Landau MS, Kuan SF, Chiosea S, Pai RK. BRAF-mutated microsatellite stable colorectal carcinoma: an aggressive adenocarcinoma with reduced CDX2 and increased cytokeratin 7 immunohistochemical expression. Human Pathol 2014; 45:1704-12
- Chintamaneni P, Das R, Kuan SF, Kermanshahi TR, Hashash JG. Hematochezia associated with Sevalamer-induced mucosal injury. ACG Case Reports Journal 2014; 1:145-7
- Ho H, Jedrych JJ, Feng H, Natalie AA, Grandinetti L, Mirvish E, Crespo MM, Yadav D, Fasanella KE, Proksell S, Kuan SF, Pastrna DV, Buck CB, Shuda Y, Moore PS, Chang Y. Human polyomavirus 7-associated pruritic rash and viremia in transplant recipients. J Infect Dis 2015; 211:1560-5