Amal Kanbour-Shakir, MD, PhD
Professor of Pathology & OB/GYN and RS
Dr. Kanbour-Shakir is a member of the Division of Gynecologic Pathology at Magee-Womens Hospital.
300 Halket Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Office Phone: (412) 641-1799
Fax: (412) 641-1675
- MD - 1971, Baghdad Medical College, Baghdad, Iraq
- PhD - 1978, Edinburgh University, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
Research InterestsDr. Kanbour-Shakir's interest is studying the pathogenesis, oncogenesis, host interaction, molecular biology and immunogenetics of ovarian, endometrial and breast cancer and disease. Current angiogenesis and kinases, and genetic instability in breast disease and cancer, ovarian epithelial tumors, endometrial tumors and cancer cytopathology.
- Anatomic & Clinical Pathology (AP/CP), American Board of Pathology, 1988
- Cytopathology added Qualification (CyP), American Board of Pathology, 1992
SpecialtiesBreast Pathology, Gynecological Pathology and Cytopathology
Awards and Honors
- Teaching recognition from Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology, University Gynecologic Oncology Group, Outstanding teaching performance for Sophomore Pathology Course, University of Pittsburgh
- Research award from Pathology Education and Research Foundation, University of Pittsburgh
- Overseas Scholarship "United Kingdom"
Selected PublicationsView Dr. Kanbour-Shakir's publications on PubMed
- Storms AA, Sukumvanich P, Monaco SE,, Beriwal S, Krivak TC, Kanbour- Shakir A: Mucinous Tumors of the Ovary: Diagnostic Challenges at Frozen Section and Clinical Implications. J. Gynecologic Oncology, 125 (1): 75-9, 2012.
- Monaco SE, Colaizzi A, Kanbour A, Ibrahim AS, Kanbour- Shakir A.: The role of axillary lymph node FNA in breast cancer staging prior to chemotherapy with histological correlation. Acta Cytologica, Vol. 56 (No. 2):139-145, 2012.
- Andacoglu O., Kanbour- Shakir A., Teh Y-C., Bonaventura M., Ozbek U., Anello M., Ganott M, Kelley J., Dirican A., Soran A: Rationale of Excisional Biopsy after the Diagnosis of Benign Radial Scar: A Single Institutional Outcome Analysis. The American Journal of Clinical Oncology; Feb 36 (1):7-11, 2013.
- Zhao C, Amin M, Weng B, Chen X, Kanbour-Shakir A, Austin RM: Cytology and Human Papillomavirus Screening Test Results Associated with 2827 Histopathologic Cervical Intraepithelial Neoplasia 2/3 Diagnoses. Archive of pathology & Laboratory Medicine Jul;137(7):942-7, 2013.
- Li X, Kanbour-Shakir A, Dabbs D, Bhargava R: Morphologic features do not influence response to trastuzumab containing neoadjuvant chemotherapy in HER2-positive breast cancer. Applied Immunohistochemistry & Molecular Morphology Oct;21(5):420-5, 2013.
- Desouki MM, Kanbour A, Fadare O, Kanbour-Shakir A: Immunophenotype and K-RAS mutation in mucinous ovarian adenocarcinoma with mural nodule of high grade sarcoma: Case report. International Journal of Gynecological Pathology; 33:186-90, 2014
- Soran A, Kanbour-Shakir A, Bas, O, Bonaventura, M: A Tattoo Pigmented Node and Breast cancer; Case-report. Bratislava Medical Journal, 115 (5) 311-312, 2014
- Kamal? Polat A, Soran A., Kanbour-Shakir A., Edington H.: Leiomyosarcoma metastasized to lymph nodes involved with small lymphocytic lymphoma/chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Turkish J. of Pathology, page 1-3, 2014.
- Friedman T, Coon D, Kanbour-Shakir A, Michaels 5th J, Rubin JP: Defining the Lymphatic System of the Anterior Abdominal Wall: An Anatomical Study. J. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 135 (4); 1027-1032, 2015.
- Desouki, MM, Chamberlain, BK, Oluwole Fadare, O, Shyu S, Shakir N, Kanbour-Shakir A: Malignancy Associated with Ovarian Teratomas: Frequency, Histotypes, and Diagnostic Accuracy of Intra-operative Consultation. Annals of Diagnostic Pathology; 19(3):103-6. 2015