Amal Kanbour-Shakir, MD, PhD
Professor of Pathology
Dr. Kanbour-Shakir is a member of the Division of Gynecologic Pathology at Magee-Womens Hospital.
300 Halket Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Office Phone: (412) 641-1799
Fax: (412) 641-1675
- MD - 1971, Baghdad Medical College, Baghdad, Iraq
- PhD - 1978, Edinburgh University, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
Research InterestsDr. Kanbour-Shakir's interest is studying the pathogenesis, oncogenesis, host interaction, molecular biology and immunogenetics of ovarian, endometrial and breast cancer and disease. Current angiogenesis and kinases, and genetic instability in breast disease and cancer, ovarian epithelial tumors, endometrial tumors and cancer cytopathology.
- Anatomic & Clinical Pathology (AP/CP), American Board of Pathology, 1988
- Cytopathology added Qualification (CyP), American Board of Pathology, 1992
SpecialtiesBreast Pathology, Gynecological Pathology and Cytopathology
Awards and Honors
- Teaching recognition from Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology, University Gynecologic Oncology Group, Outstanding teaching performance for Sophomore Pathology Course, University of Pittsburgh
- Research award from Pathology Education and Research Foundation, University of Pittsburgh
- Overseas Scholarship "United Kingdom"
Selected PublicationsView Dr. Kanbour-Shakir's publications on PubMed
- Axtell AE, Kelley JL, Fader AN, Gupta D, Schwartz B, Comerci JT, Gallion HH and Kanbour-Shakir A: Percent surface area involvment is a predictor of lymph node metastasis in endometrial cancer. J. Gynecologic Oncology, 107(3):482-486, 2007.
- Monaco, SE, Dabbs, DJ, Kanbour-Shakir A: Pleomorphic Lobular Carcinoma in Pleural Fluid: Diagnostic Pitfall for Atypical Mesothelial Cells. Diagnostic Cytopathology, 36: 657-661, 2008.
- Fader AN, Edwards RP, Cost M, Kanbour-Shakir A, Kelley JP, Schwartz B, Sukumvanich P, Comerci J, Sumkin J, Elishaev, E, Rohan LC: Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy in Early-stage Cervical Cancer: Utility of Intraoperative Versus Postoperative Assessment. Gynecologic Oncology, 111:13-17, 2008.
- Gur, A S, Unal B, Edington H, Kanbour-Shakir A, Soran A: Pseudoangiomatous Stromal Hyperplasia (PASH) of the Breast: Intraductal Appearance. J of Obstet Gynecol Research, Aug;35(4):816-8. 2009.
- Onuma, K, Kanbour-Shakir, A, Kanbour, A: Pemphigus Vulgaris of the Vagina, cytologically Mimicking Malignant Cells, Its cytomorphologic features on liquid-based cytology; Case report and Differential Diagnosis. Diagnostic Cytopathology. Nov;37(11):832-5., 2009.
- Latimer, JJ, Johnson JM, Kelly CM, Miles TD, Beaudry-Rodgers, K, Lalanne NA, Vogel VG, Kanbour-Shakir A, Kelley JL, Johnson R, and Grant SG: Nucleotide Excision Repair Deficiency is Intrinsic in Sporadic stage 1 Breast Cancer. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, 107:21725-21730, 2010.
- Andacoglu O., Kanbour-Shakir A., Teh Y-C., Bonaventura M., Ozbek U., Anello M., Ganott M, Kelley J., Dirican A., Soran A: Rationale of Excisional Biopsy after the Diagnosis of Benign Radial Scar: A Single Institutional Outcome Analysis. The American Journal of Clinical Oncology, Epub on November 29, 2011.
- Kamali Polat, A., Kanbour- Shakir A., Andacoglu O., Polat, A. V., Johnson R, Bonaventura M., Soran A: Atypical Hyperplasia on Core Biopsy: Is Further Surgery Needed?. American Journal of the Medical Sciences, Epub on December 27th, 2011.
- Storms AA, Sukumvanich P, Monaco SE,, Beriwal S, Krivak TC, Kanbour- Shakir A: Mucinous Tumors of the Ovary: Diagnostic Challenges at Frozen Section and Clinical Implications. J. Gynecologic Oncology, Epub on December 9, 2011.
- Monaco SE, Colaizzi A, Kanbour A, Ibrahim AS, Kanbour-Shakir A.: The role of axillary lymph node FNA in breast cancer staging prior to chemotherapy with histological correlation. Acta Cytologica, Vol. 56 (No. 2):139-145, 2012.