Rahman Hariri, PhD, MBA, MT(ASCP)
Clinical Assistant Professor of Pathology
Dr. Hariri is the Director of Microbiology / Immunology at UPMC Mercy.
UPMC Mercy Department of Laboratory Medicine 1400 Locust Street Pittsburgh, PA 15219
Office Telephone: 412-232-7830
Lab Telephone: 412-232-7837
- PhD - 1992, University of North Texas
- MBA - 2001, University of Pittsburgh
Clinical ExpertiseI am a member of the division of microbiology at UPMC and serve as medical director of clinical Microbiology/Immunology laboratory at UPMC Mercy hospital.
Research InterestsIn a collaborative effort, I have been involved in the development of an improved method of collection and screening for multi-drug resistant Acinetobacter baumannii from hospitals' critical care units. I am also interested in clinical aspect, treatment failure, of Ceftriaxone resistant methicillin susceptible Staphylococcus aureus infections. In addition, I am investigating correlation between direct clinical observations of nasal and sinus endoscopy specimens and direct smears and culture results in rapid and effective diagnosis/treatment of chronic rhinosinusitis.
CertificationsCollege of American Pathologists
Selected PublicationsView Dr. Hariri's publications on PubMed
- Doi, Yohei, R.S. Hariri, S. Kandiah, L. Harrison. In Press: "Natural History of Multidrug-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii carriage in Intensive Care Units". Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology.
- A.J. Greco, K.L. Woods, R.S. Hariri, H. Freedy, M.H. Yassin; 2012. Susceptibility of Methicillin susceptible Staphylococcus aureus (MSSA) to Ceftriaxone is Critically needed! Poster presentation at 2012 ASM 112th general meeting, San Francisco, CA
- Pursglove, M. L., Freedy, H., Hariri, R., Yassin, M. 2010. Evaluation of Ceftriaxone MICs for MSSA isolated from blood and sterile body site. University of Pittsburgh School of Pharmacy, Pittsburgh, PA 15261. Presented at Eastern States Residency Conference in Hershey PA in May, 2010
- Rangaswamy, B., Bajwa J., Hariri, R. Yassin, M. 2010. Case report, Pleural Listeriosis in an elderly male - A Change in Pattern. Presented at the February 2010 meeting of Western PA American College of Physicians. The poster received the third place award at the competition.