David J. Dabbs, MD
Dr. Dabbs is Chief of Pathology at Magee-Womens Hospital of UPMC.
Professor of Pathology
300 Halket Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Office Telephone: 412-641-4651
Dr. Dabbs' primary interests are in breast and gynecologic pathology.
For breast pathology, columnar cell lesions (CCL) of the breast encompass a spectrum of morphologic and biomarker changes within breast neoplasm. It is my hypothesis that such changes represent an estrogen dependent pathway to breast carcinoma. We have recently demonstrated that molecular alterations in the form of LOH are seen in columnar atypias and in carcinomas.
Lobular neoplasia of breast is an area of interest. LN is being studied from the aspect of abnormalities that are present in cell adhesiveness, specifically involving the e-cadherin/catenin complex. Also, we are studying the pleomorphic subset of LN.
For immunohistochemistry, we continue to explore the realm of diagnostic, prognostic and predictive markers of relevance for breast neoplasia.
Selected PublicationsView Dr. Dabbs' publications on PubMed
- Gao FF, Dabbs DJ, Cooper KL, Bhargava R. Bright-Field HER2 Dual In Situ Hybridization (DISH) Assay vs Fluorescence In Situ Hybridization (FISH): Focused Study of Immunohistochemical 2+ Cases. Am J Clin Pathol. 2014 Jan;141(1):102-10.
- Bhargava R, Dabbs DJ. Interpretation of Human Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor 2(Her2) in Situ Hybridization Assays Using 2013 Update of American Socieity of Clinical Oncology/College of American Patholgoists HER2 Guidelines. J Clin Oncol. 2014 Jun 10;32(17): 1855.
- Sikora MJ, Cooper KL, Bahreine A, Luthra S, Wang G, Chandran UR, Davidson ND, Dabbs DJ, Welm AL, Oesterreich S. Invasive lobular carcinoma cell lines are characterized by unique estrogen-mediated gene expression patterns and altered tamoxifen response. Cancer Res. 2014 Mar 1;74(5):1463-74.
- Gloyeske NC, Dabbs DJ, Bhargava R. Low ER+ breast cancer: Is this a distinct group? Am J Clin Pathol. 2014 May;141(5):697-701.
- Dabbs DJ, Schnitt SJ, Geyer FC et al. Lobular neoplasia of the breast revisited with emphasis on the role of e-cadherin immunohistochemistry. Am J Surg Pathol 2013, Jul 37(7) 1-11.
- Clark BZ, Dabbs DJ, Cooper KL, Bhargava R. Impact of Progesterone Receptor Semiquantitative Immunohistochemical Result on Oncotype DX Recurrence Score: A Quality Assurance Study of 1074 Cases. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol. 2013 Jul;21(4): 287-91.
- Klein ME, Dabbs DJ, Shuai Y, Brufsky AM, Jankowitz R, Puhalla SL, Bhargava R. Prediction of the Oncotype DX recurrence score: use of pathology-generated equations derived by linear regression analysis.Mod Pathol. 2013 May; 26(5) 658-64.
- Bhargava R, Dabbs DJ. Cancer of unknown primary origin: using ancillary techniques with caution. J Clin Oncol. 2013 Apr 10;31(11):1478-9.
- Yu J, Monaco SE, Onisko A, Bhargava R, Dabbs DJ, Cieply KM, Fine JL. A validation study of quantum dot multispectral imaging to evaluate hormone receptor status in ductal carcinoma in situ of the breast.Hum Pathol. 2013 Mar;44(3): 394-401.
- Jones MW, Onisko A, Dabbs DJ, Elishaev E, Chiosea S, Bhargava R. Immunohistochemistry and HPV in situ hybridization in pathologic distinction between endocervical and endometrial adenocarcinoma: a comparative tissue microarray study of 76 tumors. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2013 Feb;23(2):380-4
- Li X, Kanbour-Shakir A, Dabbs DJ, Bhargava R. Morphologic Features Do Not Influence Response to Trastuzumab-containing Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy in HER2-positive Breast Cancer. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol.2013 Oct;21(5):420-5.
- Sikora MJ, Jankowitz RC, Dabbs DJ, Oesterreich S. Invasive lobular carcinoma of the breast: Patient response to systemic endocrine therapy and hormone response in model systems. Steroids. 2013 Jun; 78(6): 568-75.