Simion I. Chiosea, MD
Associate Professor of Pathology
Dr. Chiosea is a member of the Division of Anatomic Pathology.
UPMC Presbyterian Hospital
Anatomic Pathology Department
200 Lothrop Street, Room A616
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Office Telephone: 412-647-7065
Request Second Opinion/Consultation Form
Pathology material (glass slides and/or tissue blocks) should be sent to:
Attn: Robyn Roche
Administrative Assistant, Department of Anatomic Pathology
Presbyterian Campus - Suite A-616
200 Lothrop Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15213-2582 Telephone: 412-647-7065
- MD - 2000, State University of Medicine and Pharmacy, N. Testemiţanu, Chișinău, Moldova
Clinical ExpertiseHead and Neck and Endocrine Pathology
- Salivary gland carcinomas
- salivary duct carcinoma
- mammary analogue secretory carcinoma
- Margin assessment in head and neck squamous cell carcinomas
SpecialtiesHead and Neck and Endocrine Pathology
- American Head and Neck Society, Paper Award Winners, Best Resident Clinical Paper for the 8th International Conference on Head and Neck Cancer, Jessica H. Maxwell, MD, MPH: "Extracapsular Spread is Not Associated with Worse Survival in p16-Positive Oropharyngeal Cancer Patients"
- USCAP, 2012, North American Society of Head and Neck Pathology, Leon Barnes, Award for best poster by a pathologist in training entitled "Mammary Analogue Secretory Carcinoma" (C. Griffith)
- United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology, March 2015, North American Society of Head and Neck Pathology, Dr. Leon Barnes Award for Best Poster entitled "The predominance of apocrine morphology and androgen receptor positivity in 204 cases of salivary duct carcinoma" (mentored head and neck pathology fellow, Dr. L. Williams).
- United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology, March 2015, North American Society of Head and Neck Pathology, Dr. Leon Barnes Award for Best Poster entitled "Perineural invasion as a risk factor for local recurrence in early squamous cell carcinoma of the oral tongue" (mentored pathology resident, Dr. A. Busca, University of Ottawa).
- Poster of Distinction, Combined Otolaryngology Spring Meeting/ American Head and Neck Society, April 2015, Boston, for "Early oral tongue squamous cell carcinoma: Sampling of margins from tumor bed correlates with worse local control" (mentored head and neck surgery fellow, Dr. J. Maxwell).
Selected PublicationsView Dr. Chiosea's recent publications on PubMed
- Early Oral Tongue Squamous Cell Carcinoma: Sampling of Margins From Tumor Bed and Worse Local Control. Maxwell JH, Thompson LD, Brandwein-Gensler MS, Weiss BG, Canis M, Purgina B, Prabhu AV, Lai C, Shuai Y, Carroll WR, Morlandt A, Duvvuri U, Kim S, Johnson JT, Ferris RL, Seethala R, Chiosea SI. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2015 Jul 30:1-8
- Salivary duct carcinoma: the predominance of apocrine morphology, prevalence of histologic variants, and androgen receptor expression. Williams L, Thompson LD, Seethala RR, Weinreb I, Assaad AM, Tuluc M, Ud Din N, Purgina B, Lai C, Griffith CC, Chiosea SI. Am J Surg Pathol. 2015 May;39(5):705-13.
- Molecular characterization of apocrine salivary duct carcinoma. Chiosea SI, Williams L, Griffith CC, Thompson LD, Weinreb I, Bauman JE, Luvison A, Roy S, Seethala RR, Nikiforova MN. Am J Surg Pathol. 2015 Jun;39(6):744-52.
- Salivary duct carcinoma and the concept of early carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma. Griffith CC, Thompson LD, Assaad A, Purgina BM, Lai C, Bauman JE, Weinreb I, Seethala RR, Chiosea SI. Histopathology. 2014 Dec;65(6):854-60.
- Early squamous cell carcinoma of the oral tongue: comparing margins obtained from the glossectomy specimen to margins from the tumor bed. Chang AM, Kim SW, Duvvuri U, Johnson JT, Myers EN, Ferris RL, Gooding WE, Seethala RR, Chiosea SI. Oral Oncol. 2013 Nov;49(11):1077-82
- Extracapsular spread in head and neck carcinoma: impact of site and human papillomavirus status. Maxwell JH, Ferris RL, Gooding W, Cunningham D, Mehta V, Kim S, Myers EN, Johnson J, Chiosea S. Cancer. 2013 Sep 15;119(18):3302-8.
- Smith MA, Barnes EL, Chiosea SI. Pathology archive: evaluation of integrity, regulatory compliance, and construction of searchable database from print reports. Am J Clin Pathol 2011;135:753-9.
- Chenevert J, Barnes LE, Chiosea SI. Mucoepidermoid carcinoma: a five-decade journey. Virchows Arch 2011;458:133-40.
- Chiosea SI, Peel R, Barnes EL, Seethala RR. Salivary type tumors seen in consultation. Virchows Arch 2009;454:457-66.
- Chiosea S, Jelezcova E, Chandran U, Luo J, Mantha G, Sobol RW, Dacic S. Overexpression of Dicer in precursor lesions of lung adenocarcinoma. Cancer Res 2007;67:2345-50.
- Chiosea S, Jelezcova E, Chandran U, Acquafondata M, McHale T, Sobol RW, Dhir R. Up-regulation of dicer, a component of the MicroRNA machinery, in prostate adenocarcinoma. Am J Pathol 2006;169:1812-20.