Simion I. Chiosea, MD
Assistant Professor of Pathology
Dr. Chiosea is a member of the Division of Anatomic Pathology and director of Quality Assurance at UPMC Presbyterian.
UPMC Presbyterian Hospital
Anatomic Pathology Department
200 Lothrop Street, Room A616
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Office Telephone: 412-647-5565
- MD - 2000, State University of Medicine and Pharmacy, N. Testemitanu, Chișinău, Moldova
Clinical ExpertiseHead and Neck and Endocrine Pathology
- Salivary gland pathology
- KRAS, EGFR, BRAF mutant allele specific imbalance in solid tumors
- Oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinomas
- Historic pathology archive
SpecialtiesHead and Neck and Endocrine Pathology
Awards and Honors
- USCAP, 2012, North American Society of Head and Neck Pathology, Leon Barnes, Award for best poster by a pathologist in training entitled “Mammary Analogue Secretory Carcinoma” (mentored PGY-2 resident C. Griffith) Annual pathology retreat, UPMC, 2nd prize, 2011 for paper Oakley GJ, 3rd, Chiosea SI. Higher dosage of the epidermal growth factor receptor mutant allele in lung adenocarcinoma correlates with younger age, stage IV at presentation, and poorer survival. J Thorac Oncol 2011;6:1407-12. Award from American Society for Investigative Pathology/Pulmonary Pathology Society one-month scholarship to study pulmonary pathology with Dr. T. Colby, Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, Arizona, USA, 2008
- 1st Prize for poster S. Chiosea, et al., upregulation of Dicer, A Component of the MicroRNA Machinery, in Prostate Adenocarcinoma. UPMC, Department of Pathology 17th Annual Research Retreat 2006
- APIII Travel Award for the 10th Annual Conference “Advancing Practice, Instruction and Innovation through Informatics, APIII”, Tahoe City, CA 2005
- Worldwide Institute Supporting Exchange (W.I.S.E.) scholarship for research fellowship at University of Massachusetts School of Biomedical Sciences, Worcester, MA 2000
Selected PublicationsView Dr. Chiosea's recent publications on PubMed
- Wheeler SE, Morariu EM, Bednash JS, Otte CG, Seethala RR, Chiosea SI, Grandis JR. Lyn kinase mediates cell motility and tumor growth in EGFRvIII-expressing head and neck cancer. Clin Cancer Res 2012.
- Hartman DJ, Davison JM, Foxwell TJ, Nikiforova MN, Chiosea SI. Mutant allele-specific imbalance modulates prognostic impact of KRAS mutations in colorectal adenocarcinoma and is associated with worse overall survival. Int J Cancer 2012.
- Chiosea SI, Griffith C, Assaad A, Seethala RR. The profile of acinic cell carcinoma after recognition of mammary analog secretory carcinoma. Am J Surg Pathol 2012;36:343-50.
- Chiosea SI, Griffith C, Assaad A, Seethala RR. Clinicopathological characterization of mammary analogue secretory carcinoma of salivary glands. Histopathology 2012.
- Chenevert J, Seethala RR, Barnes EL, Chiosea SI. Squamous cell carcinoma metastatic to neck from an unknown primary: The potential impact of modern pathologic evaluation on perceived incidence of human papillomavirus-positive oropharyngeal carcinoma prior to 1970. Laryngoscope 2012;122:793-6.
- Chenevert J, Duvvuri U, Chiosea S, Dacic S, Cieply K, Kim J, Shiwarski D, Seethala RR. DOG1: a novel marker of salivary acinar and intercalated duct differentiation. Mod Pathol 2012.
- Chenevert J, Chiosea S. Incidence of human papillomavirus in oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinomas: now and 50 years ago. Hum Pathol 2012;43:17-22.
- Smith MA, Barnes EL, Chiosea SI. Pathology archive: evaluation of integrity, regulatory compliance, and construction of searchable database from print reports. Am J Clin Pathol 2011;135:753-9.
- Oakley GJ, 3rd, Chiosea SI. Higher dosage of the epidermal growth factor receptor mutant allele in lung adenocarcinoma correlates with younger age, stage IV at presentation, and poorer survival. J Thorac Oncol 2011;6:1407-12.
- Loyo M, Johnson JT, Westra WH, Chiosea SI, Gourin CG. Management of the "violated neck" in the era of chemoradiation. Laryngoscope 2011;121:2349-58.
- Lei Y, Chiosea SI. Re-Evaluating Historic Cohort of Salivary Acinic Cell Carcinoma with New Diagnostic Tools. Head Neck Pathol 2011.
- Chiosea SI, Sherer CK, Jelic T, Dacic S. KRAS mutant allele-specific imbalance in lung adenocarcinoma. Mod Pathol 2011;24:1571-7.
- Chenevert J, Barnes LE, Chiosea SI. Mucoepidermoid carcinoma: a five-decade journey. Virchows Arch 2011;458:133-40.
- Bilodeau EA, Chiosea S. Oral squamous cell carcinoma with mandibular bone invasion: intraoperative evaluation of bone margins by routine frozen section. Head Neck Pathol 2011;5:216-20.
- Seethala RR, Chiosea SI. Solid cell nests, papillary thyroid microcarcinoma, and HBME1. Am J Clin Pathol 2010;134:169-70.
- Chiosea S, Shuai Y, Cieply K, Nikiforova MN, Dacic S. EGFR fluorescence in situ hybridization-positive lung adenocarcinoma: incidence of coexisting KRAS and BRAF mutations. Hum Pathol 2010;41:1053-60.
- Chiosea SI, Peel R, Barnes EL, Seethala RR. Salivary type tumors seen in consultation. Virchows Arch 2009;454:457-66.
- Chiosea S, Nikiforova M, Zuo H, Ogilvie J, Gandhi M, Seethala RR, Ohori NP, Nikiforov Y. A novel complex BRAF mutation detected in a solid variant of papillary thyroid carcinoma. Endocr Pathol 2009;20:122-6.
- Chiosea SI, Barnes EL, Lai SY, Egloff AM, Sargent RL, Hunt JL, Seethala RR. Mucoepidermoid carcinoma of upper aerodigestive tract: clinicopathologic study of 78 cases with immunohistochemical analysis of Dicer expression. Virchows Arch 2008;452:629-35.
- Chiosea S, Acquafondata M, Luo J, Kuan S, Seethala R. DICER1 and PRKRA in Colon Adenocarcinoma. Biomark Insights 2008;3:253-58.
- Chiosea S, Jelezcova E, Chandran U, Luo J, Mantha G, Sobol RW, Dacic S. Overexpression of Dicer in precursor lesions of lung adenocarcinoma. Cancer Res 2007;67:2345-50.
- Chiosea S, Jelezcova E, Chandran U, Acquafondata M, McHale T, Sobol RW, Dhir R. Up-regulation of dicer, a component of the MicroRNA machinery, in prostate adenocarcinoma. Am J Pathol 2006;169:1812-20.