Rohit Bhargava, MD
Associate Professor of Pathology
Dr. Bhargava received his Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) degree from the SMS Medical College of Rajasthan University (Jaipur, India). Upon arrival in the United States in 1998, he underwent residency training in Anatomic and Clinical Pathology at Baystate Medical Center (Western Campus of Tufts University) in Springfield, Massachusetts followed by fellowship training in Oncologic Surgical Pathology and Diagnostic Molecular Pathology at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York, NY. He has been a faculty member at Magee-Womens Hospital of University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) since September 2004. Dr. Bhargava is currently an Associate Professor of Pathology at the University of Pittsburgh, School of Medicine. He serves as Co-Director of Surgical Pathology at Magee-Womens Hospital. He is also the Medical Director of the Histotechnology School at UPMC.
Department of Pathology
300 Halket Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Office Telephone: 412-641-4641
- Breast Pathology
- Gynecologic Pathology
- Immunohistochemistry and ancillary testing in breast and gynecologic tumors and other tumors in general
Research InterestsDr. Bhargava’s research interests include identifying novel diagnostic and prognostic markers for invasive and in situ breast cancer, study of predictive biomarkers in breast carcinoma and their correlation to clinical outcome. He also has an interest in identifying site of origin for "carcinoma of unknown primary" using immunohistochemistry and other ancillary techniques.
CertificationsAnatomic and Clinical Pathology from American Board of Pathology
SpecialtiesBreast and Gynecologic Pathology
Awards and Honors
- Outstanding Teaching in Anatomic Pathology (Resident Teaching Award)- University of Pittsburgh, 2012
- F. Stephen Vogel Award from the United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology, 2006
- Outstanding Resident of the Year-Baystate Medical Center, Springfield, MA, 2002
Selected PublicationsView Dr. Bhargava's publications on PubMed
- Isil Z Yildiz-Aktas, David J Dabbs, Kristine L Cooper, Mamatha Chivukula, Kim McManus, and Rohit Bhargava. The Effect of 96-Hour Formalin Fixation on the Immunohistochemical Evaluation of Estrogen Receptor, Progesterone Receptor, and HER2 Expression in Invasive Breast Carcinoma. Am J Clin Pathol. 2012;137:691-698. PMID: 22523206.
- Rohit Bhargava and David J Dabbs. Oncotype DX® test on unequivocally HER2 positive cases: Potential for harm. J Clin Oncol. 2012;30:570-571.
- David J. Dabbs, Molly Klein, Syed Mohsin, Raymond R. Tubbs, and Rohit Bhargava. High false-negative rate of HER2 qRT-PCR of the Oncotype DX® test: An independent quality assurance study. J Clin Oncol. 2011;29:4279-4285.
- Bhargava R, Sahoo S, Esposito NN, Chen B. Pathology of breast carcinoma: diagnostic, prognostic, and therapeutic issues and challenges. Patholog Res Int. 2011;2011:73140.
- Kandace P. McGuire, MD, Jorge Toro-Burguete, MD, Hang Dang, DO, Jessica Young, MD, Atilla Soran, MD, MPH, Margarita Zuley, MD, Rohit Bhargava, MD, Marguerite Bonaventura, MD, Ronald Johnson, MD, Gretchen Ahrendt, MD. MRI staging after neoadjuvant chemotherapy for breast cancer: Does tumor biology affect accuracy? Ann Surg Oncol. 2011;18:3149-3154.
- Anna H Woodard MD, Jing Yu MD, David J Dabbs MD, Sushil Beriwal MD, Anca V Florea MD, Esther Elishaev, MD, Jon M Davison MD, Alyssa M Krasinskas MD, and Rohit Bhargava MD NY-BR-1 and PAX8 immunoreactivity in breast, gynecologic tract and other CK7 positive carcinomas: Potential use for determining site of origin. Am J Clin Pathol. 2011;136:428-435.
- Vargo JA, Beriwal S, Ahrendt GM, Soran A, Johnson RR, McGuire K, Bhargava R. Molecular Class as a Predictor of Locoregional and Distant Recurrence in the Neoadjuvant Setting for Breast Cancer. Oncology 2011;80:341-349. http://content.karger.com/ProdukteDB/produkte.asp DOI=10.1159/000330203
- Jing Yu, MD, PhD, David J. Dabbs, MD, Yongli Shuai, MS, Leo A. Niemeier, MD, Rohit Bhargava, MD. Classical Type Invasive Lobular Carcinoma with HER2 Overexpression: Clinical, Histological and Hormone Receptor Characteristics. Am J Clin Pathol. 2011 Jul;136(1):88-97.
- >Rohit Bhargava, MD, Nicole N. Esposito, MD, David J. Dabbs, MD Intracystic papillary carcinomas of the breast are more similar to in-situ carcinomas than invasive carcinoma. Am J Surg Pathol. 2011;35:778-779.
- Rohit Bhargava MD, Sushil Beriwal, MD, Kim McManus, HT (ASCP), David J Dabbs, MD Insulin-Like Growth Factor Receptor-1 (IGF-1R) Expression In Normal Breast, Proliferative Breast Lesions And Breast Carcinoma. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol. 2011;19:218-225.
- Rohit Bhargava, MD, David J. Dabbs, MD, Sushil Beriwal, MD, Isil A. Yildiz, MD, Preeti Badve, Atilla Soran, MD, Ronald R. Johnson, MD, Adam M. Brufsky, MD, Barry C. Lembersky, MD, Kandace McGuire, MD, and Gretchen M. Ahrendt, MD Semiquantitative hormone receptor level influences response to trastuzumab containing neoadjuvant chemotherapy in HER2 positive breast cancer. Accepted to be published in Mod Pathol. 2011;24:367-374.
- Bateman, Nicholas; Sun, Mai; Bhargava, Rohit; Hood, Brian; Darfler, Marlene; Kovatich, Albert; Hooke, Jeffrey; Krizman, David; Conrads, Thomas. Differential Proteomic Analysis of Late-Stage and Recurrent Breast Cancer from Formalin-Fixed Paraffin-Embedded Tissues. J Proteome Res. 2011;10:1323-1332.
- Amy S Gardiner, William C McBee, Jr., Robert P Edwards, Marshall Austin, Jamie L Lesnock, Rohit Bhargava, Richard Guido, and Saleem A Khan. MicroRNA analysis in human papillomavirus (HPV)-associated cervical neoplasia and cancer. Infectious Agents and Cancer 2010 5(Suppl 1):A55.
- Vera S. Donnenberg, PhD, Albert D. Donnenberg, PhD Ludovic Zimmerlin, Rodney J. Landreneau, MD, Rohit Bhargava, MD, Ryan A. Wetzel1, Per Basse, and Adam M. Brufsky, MD Localization of CD44 and CD90 positive cells to the invasive front of breast tumors. Cytometry B Clin Cytom. 2010 Sep;78(5):287-301.
- David J Dabbs, MD and Rohit Bhargava, MD Letter Regarding Ibarra et al article titled 'Fixation time does not affect the expression of estrogen receptor (Am J Clin Pathol. 2010; 133:747-755)'. Am J Clin Pathol. 2011 Jan;135(1):171-2.
- Wang P, Bista R, Bhargava R, Brand RE, Liu Y. Spatial-domain low-coherence quantitative phase microscopy for cancer diagnosis. Opt Lett. 2010; 35(17):2840-2842.
- Stergios Moschos, Drazen M. Jukic, Charalambos Athanassiou, Rohit Bhargava, Shih-Fan Kuan, Sanja Dacic, Shelley L. Fayewicz, Marie Acquafondata, Rajiv Dhir. Expression Analysis of Ubc9, the Single SUMO E2 Conjugating Enzyme, in Normal and Malignant Tissues. Hum Pathol. 2010;41:1286-98.
- Jing Yu, Rohit Bhargava and David J Dabbs. Invasive lobular carcinoma with extracellular mucin production and HER-2 overexpression: a case report and further case studies. Diagnostic Pathology. 2010;5:36.
- Teng, Pang-ning; Rungruang, Bunja; Hood, Brian; Sun, Mai; Flint, Melanie; Bateman, Nicholas; Dhir, Rajiv; Bhargava, Rohit; Richard, Scott; Edwards, Robert; Conrads, Thomas. Assessment of Buffer Systems for Harvesting Proteins from Tissue Interstitial Fluid for Proteomic Analysis. Journal of Proteome Research. 2010;9:4161-4169.
- Dana Gingell, Amber Samuel, Denise Haynik, William McBee, Joseph Kelley, Kristen Zorn, Rohit Bhargava. Metastatic Ovarian Serous Carcinoma Presenting as Inflammatory Breast Cancer: A Case Report. Int J Gynecol Pathol. 2010;29:243-247.
- Siobhan O'Connor, David J Dabbs, Sushil Beriwal, Rohit Bhargava. Concordance Between Semiquantitative Immunohistochemical Assay and Oncotype DX RT-PCR Assay for Estrogen and Progesterone Receptors. Appl. Immunohistochem Mol Morphol. 2010;18:268-272.
- Rohit Bhargava, MD, Sushil Beriwal, MD, David J. Dabbs, MD, Umut Ozbek, M.S., Atilla Soran, MD, Ronald R. Johnson, MD, Adam M. Brufsky, MD, Barry C. Lembersky, MD, Gretchen M. Ahrendt, MD Immunohistochemical surrogate markers of breast cancer molecular classes predicts response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy: A single institutional experience with 359 cases. Cancer. 2010;116:1431-1439.
- Leo A. Niemeier, David J Dabbs, Sushil Beriwal, Joan Striebel, Rohit Bhargava. Androgen Receptor in Breast Cancer: Expression in Estrogen Receptor Positive Tumors and in Estrogen Receptor Negative Tumors with Apocrine Differentiation. Mod Pathol. 2010;23:205-212.
- Rohit Bhargava, Sushil Beriwal, Joan Striebel, David J Dabbs. Breast Cancer Molecular Class ERBB2: Preponderance Of Tumors With Apocrine Differentiation And Expression Of Basal Phenotype Markers CK5, CK5/6 And EGFR. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol. 2010;18:113-118.
- Olga L. Bohn, Irem Nasir, Adam Brufsky, George C Tseng, Rohit Bhargava, Kim McManus, Mamatha Chivukula. Biomarker profile in breast carcinomas presenting with bone metastasis. Int J Clin Exp Pathol 2010;3(2):139-146.
- Cagatay Ersahin, Mamatha Chivukula, Rohit Bhargava, David J Dabbs. Basal-like Subtype Breast Cancers in Women Older than 40 Years of Age. Int J Surg Pathol. 2010;18:42-47.
- Sushil Beriwal, Bunja Rungruang, Atilla Soran, Darcy Thull, Joseph L Kelley, Rohit Bhargava, Chyongchiou J. Lin, Paniti Sukumvanich. Comparison of Locoregional Recurrence with Mastectomy vs. Breast Conserving Surgery in Pregnancy Associated Breast Cancer (PABC). Cancers. 2009, 1(1), 12-20; doi:10.3390/cancers1010012
- Hughes SJ, Xi, L, Gooding WE, Cole DJ, Mitas M, Metcalf J, Bhargava R, Dabbs D, Ching J, Kozma L, McMillan W, Godfrey TE. A Quantitative Reverse Transcription-PCR Assay for Rapid Automated Analyses of Breast Cancer Sentinel Lymph Nodes. J Mol. Diagn. 2009;11:576-582.
- Mamatha Chivukula, David J Dabbs, Siobhan O'Connor, Rohit Bhargava. PAX2: a novel müllerian marker for serous papillary carcinomas to differentiate from micropapillary breast carcinoma. Int J Gynecol Pathol. 2009;28:570-578.
- Cagatay Ersahin, Sudeshna Bandyopadhyay, and Rohit Bhargava. Thyroid transcription factor-1 and “basal-marker” expressing small cell carcinoma of the breast. Int J Surg Pathol. 2009;17:368-372.
- Mamatha Chivukula, Rohit Bhargava, David J Dabbs. Clinicopathologic Implications of ‘Flat Epithelial Atypia’ on Core Needle Biopsies of Breast. Am J Clin Pathol. 2009;131:802-808.
- Bulent Unal, A Serhat Gur, Rohit Bhargava, Howard Edington, Gretchen Ahrendt, Atilla Soran. Intraductal location of the sclerosing adenosis of the breast. Bratisl Lek Listy. 2009;11(4):251-252.
- Rohit Bhargava, Joan Striebel, Sushil Beriwal, John C. Flickinger, Agnieszka Onisko, Gretchen Ahrendt and David J. Dabbs. Prevalence, Morphologic Features and Proliferation Indices of Breast Carcinoma Molecular Classes Using Immunohistochemical Surrogate Markers. Int J Clin Exp Pathol 2009;2(5):444-455.
- Nicole N Esposito, David J Dabbs, Rohit Bhargava. Are encapsulated papillary carcinomas of the breast in-situ or invasive? A basement membrane study of 27 cases. Am J Clin Pathol. 2009;131:228-242.
- Apocrine Carcinoma. Rohit Bhargava. Textbook of Breast Pathology (Dabbs DJ, Ed), Elsevier, USA. Expected publication date Spring 2012.
- Molecular classification of breast carcinomas. Rohit Bhargava. Textbook of Breast Pathology (Dabbs DJ, Ed), Elsevier, USA. Expected publication date Spring 2012.
- Immunohistology of the Breast. Rohit Bhargava and David J Dabbs. Textbook of Breast Pathology (Dabbs DJ, Ed), Elsevier, USA. Expected publication date Spring 2012.
- Pathology of neoadjuvant therapeutic response of breast carcinoma. Sunati Sahoo, David J Dabbs, and Rohit Bhargava. Textbook of Breast Pathology (Dabbs DJ, Ed), Elsevier, USA. Expected publication date Spring 2012.
- Predictive and prognostic marker testing in breast pathology: immunophenotypic subclasses of disease. D Craig Allred, Rohit Bhargava, and David J Dabbs. Textbook of Breast Pathology (Dabbs DJ, Ed), Elsevier, USA. Expected publication date Spring 2012.
- Immunohistology of the Breast. Rohit Bhargava, Nicole N Esposito, David J Dabbs. Diagnostic Immunohistochemistry: Theranostic and Genomic Applications, 3rd edition (Dabbs DJ, Ed), Elsevier, USA.
- Immunohistology of Metastatic Carcinomas of Unknown Primary. Rohit Bhargava, and David J Dabbs. Diagnostic Immunohistochemistry: Theranostic and Genomic Applications, 3rd edition (Dabbs DJ, Ed), Elsevier, USA.
- Pathologic Evaluation of Metastases: Immunohistology. Rohit Bhargava (first author), Mark R Wick, David J Dabbs. Metastatic Carcinomas of Unknown Origin (Wick MR, Ed), Demos Medical Publishing, New York, 2008.