||University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA.|
AP/CP pathology residency training (Director: Samuel A. Yousem, M.D.).
||The University of Iowa College of Medicine, Iowa City, IA.|
||The University of Iowa College of Liberal Arts, Iowa City, IA.|
B.S. with Honors and Highest Distinction in Microbiology.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Junior Initiate of Alpha Omega Alpha 1991
- American Federation for Clinical Research Medical Student Award, Honorable Mention
- Janet M. Glasgow Achievement Citation, American Medical Women's Association 1994
- Merck Outstanding Achievement Award 1994
- E.S. Kennedy Grant 1993
- Henry J. Prentiss Award for Superior Achievement in Medical Gross Anatomy 1990
- Bierring-Porter Award for Outstanding Achievement in Medical Microbiology 1990
- University of Iowa Collegiate Scholar Award 1989
- Honors Thesis: "The Role of Transferrin Hydrolysis in Iron Uptake by Pseudomonas
- Graduation with Highest Distinction 1989
- University of Iowa Presidential Scholarship 1985-1989
- President's List 1985-1989
- Dean's List 1985-1989
- University of Iowa Honors Program 1985-1989
- Junior Initiate and President of Phi Beta Kappa 1988
- Stevens Scholarship for junior initiate of Phi Beta Kappa who demonstrates the greatest potential as an outstanding researcher 1988
- University of Iowa Honors Program Scholarship for a Junior in the Natural Sciences 1988
- Phi Eta Sigma 1986
||NIH Medical Scientist Training Program Fellowship Award, 1989-1991, Grant No. 5 T32 GM07337-15. Amount of stipend $8,500 per year.|
||March of Dimes Birth Defects Foundation Graduate Research Training Fellowship,|
1991-1992, Grant No. 18-FY91-0432. Amount of stipend $12,000 per year for one year.
1992-1993 Grant No. FY92-0991. Amount of stipend $12,000 per year for one year.
Stipend not accepted due to reentrance into medical curriculum.
||Howard Hughes Medical Institute Doctoral Fellowship, 1989|
Amount of stipend $12,300 per year and $10,700 cost-of-education allowance per year for three to five years. Stipend and cost-of-education allowance not accepted due to concurrent NIH funding (MSTP Fellowship).
||National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship, 1989|
Amount of stipend $12,300 per year for three years. Stipend not accepted due to concurrent NIH
funding (MSTP Fellowship).
||Undergraduate Scholar Assistantship Program 1985-1989 Amount of stipend $1,320-1,720 per year.|
||Holst V, Finklestein S, Colby P, Myers J, Yousem S: P53 and K-ras Mutational Genotyping in Pulmonary Carcinosarcoma, Spindle Cell Carcinoma, and Pulmonary Blastoma: Implications for Histogenesis. Manuscript in preparation.
||Holst V, Locker J, Gleason J, Swerdlow S: Aggressive Gastric Lymphoma of CD3+ CD8+ Type Associated with Lymphomatous Meningitis. Manuscript in preparation.
||Holst V, Hughes J, Robinson RA: Confocal Microscopy Use for Accurate Chromosome Counting in Fluorescent in situ Hybridization (FISH) of Paraffin Tissue Sections. Platform presentation at United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology annual meeting 1994. |
||Holst V, Robinson RA: Chromosome 7 Abnormalities in Preneoplastic Squamous Lesions of the Cervix. Poster presentation at United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology annual meeting 1994. |
||Sriyosachati S, Holst V, Christoffersen A, Cox C: Iron Acquisition by Clinical Isolates of Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Poster presentation at American Society for Microbiology annual meeting 1989. |
||Holst V, Cox C: The Role of Transferrin Hydrolysis in Iron Uptake by Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Platform presentation at National Conference on Undergraduate Research 1988.
||Well-differentiated Fetal Type Adenocarcinoma: a Subtype of Pulmonary Blastoma. Pittsburgh Pathology Society meeting 1996.|
||Cryptococcosis Presenting as a Lung Mass in a Liver Transplant Patient, an interative World Wide Web case study, under construction.|
||Multiple Forearm Skin Nodules Secondary to M. marinum, an interactive World Wide Web case study, in preparation.|
||Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis Secondary to E.coli 0157:H7, an interactive World Wide Web case study, in preparation.|
||Concurrent AML(M2) and CLL, an interactive World Wide Web case study, 1996.|
||Well-differentiated Fetal Type Adenocarcinoma, an interactive World Wide Web case study, 1995.|
||Metabolic Bone Disease|
||Representative of Pennsylvania to the USCAP Resident's Forum, 1996-1998|
||Resident member UPMC Department of Pathology WWW home page committee|
||Bioethics Student Liaison Committee|
||Member Iowa Medical Student Research Club|
||Volunteer in Iowans Welcoming Applicants|
||Research Assistant University of Iowa Microbiology Department 1987,1988|
Updated October, 1996