Clinical Flow Cytometry LaboratoryThe Clinical Flow Cytometry Laboratory is a state-of-the-art facility utilizing up to 8-color flow cytometric analysis and offering the following test menu:
- Hematolymphoid neoplasms (including leukemia, lymphoma, myeloma, SÚzary syndrome, other).
- Paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria (PNH)
- Chronic granulomatous disease (CGD) / neutrophil oxidative burst assay (NOBA)
- Leukocyte adhesion deficiency (LAD) / neutrophil receptor profile (NRP)
- T-lymphocyte subset evaluation / CD4 count
Reports of evaluation for possible hematolymphoid malignancy, PNH, CGD and LAD include interpretation by a hematopathologists and are faxed as soon as they are signed out. Lymph node samples include a basic diagnostic evaluation. Telephone communication is encouraged and we are always prepared to discuss diagnostic dilemmas.
All T-cell subset testing/CD4 counts (T helper: T suppressor ratios) are performed according to the Centers for Disease Control guidelines. State of the art 6-color single platform testing is performed. Currently, reports include relative and absolute values for CD4+ cells, total T-cells, B-cells and natural killer cells. More limited testing can be performed if requested.
Please review the Test Specifications for information about hours of operation, specimen requirements, and shipping instructions.
- Requisition for Bone Marrow/Blood/Body Fluid Specimens
- Requisition for Lymph Node/Solid Tissue Specimens
- Instructions for Requisitions for Hematopathology Testing Services
Ms. Karen Freilino
Lead Technologist, Clinical Flow Cytometry Laboratory
Ms. Judith Bright
Supervisor, Clinical Flow Cytometry Laboratory
Mr. Ralph Nauman
Administrative Director, UPMC Specialty Laboratories
We would also be happy to discuss the other hematologic tests we offer such as cytochemical/immunocytochemical stains or our complete bone marrow and solid tissue hematopathology consultation services. We are also able to forward portions of samples to the Molecular Diagnostics Laboratory ( Dr. M. DeFrances, Interim Director) for any molecular testing desired or to the Pittsburgh Cytogenetics Laboratory located at UPMC Magee Women's Hospital (Dr Surti, Director) for any cytogenetic tests you may wish to order.