Clinical Virology Laboratory -
Specimen Collection Guidelines For RVPNAT
How to Order the New Respiratory Virus Panel Test
- The Sunquest order code is RVPNAT (Respiratory Viral Panel; PCR testing for Respiratory Virus).
- This test will also be orderable in all Clinical Information Systems.
RVPNAT will replace the following current UPMC tests for respiratory virus detection:
- RESVIR Multiplex immunofluorescence assay for respiratory viruses
- VIRC Cell culture of respiratory specimens
- FLUNAT PCR assay for influenza A and B viruses (will only be offered in a heavy flu season henceforth)
- MPNAT PCR assay for metapneumovirus
- ENTVSV Immunofluorescence assay for enteroviruses in respiratory specimens
Recommended Specimen Types
- Upper Respiratory tract specimens: nasopharyngeal or oropharyngeal aspirates or washes, nasopharyngeal or oropharyngeal (throat) swabs.
- Lower Respiratory tract specimens: bronchoalveolar lavage, tracheal aspirates, sputum.
Specimen Collection and Transportation to the Clinical Virology Laboratory
- The preferred specimen is a nasopharyngeal swab collected using an M4 viral collection and transport kit containing M-4 transport medium (3 mL) and 1 micro-tipped and 1 traditional tipped flock swab.
- The thin, flexible wire swab is inserted through the nostril deeply into the nasopharynx, rotated or held in place for 10 seconds to ensure an adequate specimen and reduce the possibility of false negative results. The swab is placed into a container of viral transport medium (M4) breaking the shaft of the swab so that the cap of the specimen container can be securely tightened.
- The sample should be sent to clinical virology laboratory with a request for RVPNAT (respiratory virus panel nucleic acid test).
- Specimens should be kept cold at refrigerator temperature in transit (2-8°C).
- Specimen Collection Guide for Virus Culture
- Appropriate Specimens for Virus Culture
- Collection and Transportation of Specimens for Virus Culture
- Specimen Collection Guidelines
- Specimen Transportation Guidelines
- Guidelines for Specimens Sent from Outside UPMC
- Guidelines for the Choice and Handling of Specimens
- Specimen Collection Guide for Viral Antigen Detection Tests
- Specimen Collection Guidelines for CNAT (CMV) PCR Test
- Packaging / Shipping Instructions for CNAT (CMV) PCR Test
- Specimen Collection Guidelines - Molecular Virology and Chlamydia Tests (PCR, Real-Time PCR)
- Specimen Collection Guidelines FOR RVPNAT