Clinical Virology Laboratory -
Label the tube with patient's name, social security number, date and time sample was drawn. The accompanying requisition form must state 'CMV antigenemia test', patient's name, date of birth, social security number, date and time the blood was drawn, and diagnosis code. Ship the requisition form along with the tube of blood.
Packaging / Shipping Instructions for CNAT (CMV) PCR Tests
IATA (International Air Transport Association) regulations governing air transportation require that the tube of blood should be double-bagged, placed in a heavy cardboard or styrofoam container that is labeled with appropriate labels specified by IATA. Check with your carrier for specific instructions. Blood samples SHOULD NOT be mailed in regular SOFT MAILING ENVELOPES. Ship blood at ROOM TEMPERATURE. In winter, be sure to provide adequate insulation to prevent the blood from freezing.
Ship blood the same day it is drawn. Use a guaranteed overnight delivery service. DO NOT USE THE U.S. POSTAL OVERNIGHT SERVICE because they can not deliver directly to the laboratory. UPS and FedEx guarantee delivery, by specific request, by 8 AM Monday-Friday. UPS delivers by 9 AM on Saturdays by specific request, Remove the comma. FedEx guarantees delivery only by 12 Noon on Saturdays and is therefore unacceptably late for Saturday deliveries. Inclement weather may delay promised delivery times. Shipping charges are the patient’s responsibility. The Clinical virology lab is not responsible for payment and WILL NOT accept packages that request ‘bill receiver’.
- Specimen Collection Guide for Virus Culture
- Appropriate Specimens for Virus Culture
- Collection and Transportation of Specimens for Virus Culture
- Specimen Collection Guidelines
- Specimen Transportation Guidelines
- Guidelines for Specimens Sent from Outside UPMC
- Guidelines for the Choice and Handling of Specimens
- Specimen Collection Guide for Viral Antigen Detection Tests
- Specimen Collection Guidelines for CNAT (CMV) PCR Test
- Packaging / Shipping Instructions for CNAT (CMV) PCR Test
- Specimen Collection Guidelines - Molecular Virology and Chlamydia Tests (PCR, Real-Time PCR)
- Specimen Collection Guidelines FOR RVPNAT