Adriana Zeevi, PhD, ABHI (D)
Professor of Pathology, Surgery and Immunology
Dr. Zeevi is the Director of the Tissue Typing Laboratory that provides 24hr/ 7 day service to the solid organ and bone marrow transplant program at UPMC, VA and Children's. I provide consultation regarding the sensitization status of potential transplant candidates and their status post-transplant. In addition, I am engaged in teaching activities to graduate students, nursing staff, fellows and clinicians. I am the director of the Pathology Resident rotation and I also coordinate other fellow/clinician rotations through our clinical laboratory. I have administrative duties in relationship with the clinical tissue typing laboratory and I also serve on several Departmental committees. In addition to clinical service, I am conducting NIH funded research in collaboration with other investigators in area of my expertise of immune monitoring post-transplantation.
3477 Euler Way
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Office Phone: 412-647-6266
- BA, Microbiology - 1973, Bar-llan University, Ramat-Gan, Israel
- MS, Microbiology - 1974, Bar-llan University, Ramat-Gan, Israel
- PhD, Microbiology - 1979, Bar-llan University, Ramat-Gan, Israel
Clinical ExpertiseDr. Zeevi's clinical expertise is in the area of Immunogenetics and Histocompatibility. I am the Clinical Director of Tissue Typing Laboratory that serves the transplant program and I provide consultation for all solid organ and bone marrow transplantation. An important aspect of my clinical expertise is to characterize the humoral sensitization and rejection in solid organ transplants. I have over 30 years of experience with immune monitoring of solid organ transplant recipients and implementation of various assays and novel approaches to evaluate the efficacy of protocols used to desensitize transplant candidates and/or to treat antibody mediated rejection in solid organ transplant recipients.
Research InterestsDespite improved immunosuppression protocols, most transplant recipients face a variety of complications. Early post-transplant is important to discriminate between infection and rejection. Drug toxicity, chronic rejection and malignancies are long-term complications. Dr. Zeevi's research interests are focused in the area of immunologic monitoring of solid organ transplant recipients.
- The role of HLA-specific and non-HLA antibodies in solid organ transplantation.
- The implementation of Luminex platform C1q binding assay to detect complement fixing donor-specific anti HLA antibodies in patient sera and to correlate this functional assay with clinical outcomes including the efficacy of protocols used to desensitize transplant candidates and/or to treat antibody mediated rejection in solid organ transplant recipients.
- Analysis of IgG subtypes of HLA antibodies and the relationship of HLA-Ab strength , subtype combination and risk assessment pre and post-transplant.
- Cellular assay to determine the host immune competence and responses to recall antigens (CMV, EBV and other)
- Evaluation of T helper cell function and cytokine profile upon stimulation with donor-specific alloantigen.
- The impact of cytokine gene polymorphism in solid organ transplantation and its predictive value for individualized immunosuppressive protocols
CertificationsDIPLOMAT, Laboratory Specialty of Histocompatibility Testing
Awards and Honors
- 1982-1984 NIH New Investigator Award
- 1984-1984 Co-Chairperson, Workshop on T Cell Cloning
- 1989 Young Investigator's Award for Research in the Field of Histocompatibility and Immunogenetics
- 2002-2003 President ASHI
- 2006-2008 Member of NIH TTT Study Section
- 2015-2017 Member of Scientific Advisory Committee IPTA
Selected PublicationsView Dr. Zeevi's publications on PubMed
- Zeevi Adriana, Marrari M, Feingold B, Webber S, Duquesnoy RJ. Human leukocyte antigen epitope analysis complement-and non-complment -binding donor-specific antibody repertoire in a pediatric heart transplant recipient. Hum Immunol. 2012: 73: 48-51
- Sindhi R, Ashokkumar C, Higgs BW, Gilbert PB, Sun Q, Ranganathan S, Jaffe R, Synder S, Ningappa M, Soltys KA, Bond GJ, Mazariegos GV, Abu-Elmagd K, Zeevi Adriana. Allospecific CD154 + T-cytotoxic memeory cells as potential surrogate for rejection risk in pediatric intenstine transplantation. Pediatr Transplant 2012 16: 83-91
- Macedo C, Walters JT, Orkis EA, Isse K, Elinoff BD, Fedorek SP, McMichael JM, Chalasani G, Randhawa P, Demetris AJ, Zeevi Adriana, Tan H, Shapiro R, Landsittel D, Lakkis FG, Metes D. Long-Term effects of alemtuzumab on regulatory and memory T-Cell subsets in kidney transplantation. Transplantaiton 2012 93: 813-21
- Yousem SA, Zeevi Adriana. The histopathology of lung allograft dysfunction associated with development of donor-specifice HLA antibodies. Am J Surg Pathol 2012 36: 987-92
- Ranganathatn S, Zeevi Adriana, Ozolek J, Venkat V, Soltys K, Mazariegos G, Sindhi R. Autoimmunity autoimmunity, and chronic liver allograft injury. Pediatr Transplant. 2012 16: 402-403
- Feingold B. Brooks MM, Zeevi Adriana, Ohmann EL, Burckart GJ, Ferrell RE, Chinnock R, Canter C, Addonizio L, Bernstein D, Kirklin JK, Naftel DC, Webber SA. Reneal function and gentic polymorphisms in pediatric heart transplant recipients. J Heart Lung Transplant 2012 31: 1003-8
- Zeevi Adriana, Lunz J. HLA antibody profiling in thoracic transplantation undergoing desensitization therapy. Curr Opin Organ Transplant. 2012 17: 416-22
- KM Abu-Elmagd, G Wu, G. Costa, J Lunz, L Maring, DA Koritsky, N Murase, W Irish and Zeevi Adriana. Preformed and De Novo donor specific antibodies in viscera transplantation: Long-Term outcome with special reference to the liver. Am J Transplant: 2012 12: 3047-3060
- Ningappa M, Ashokkumar C, Ranganathan S, Schmitt L, Higgs BW, Sun Q, Branca M, Mazariegos G, Zeevi Adriana, Abu-Elmagd K, Squires R, Rudolph J, Alissa F, Hakonarson H, Sindi R. Mucosal plasma cell barrier disruption intestine transplant rejection. Transplantation 2012 94: 1236-42
- Schneeberger S, Gorantla VS, Brandacher G, Zeevi Adriana, Demetris AJ, Lunz JG, Metes DM, Donnenberg AD, Shores JT, Dimartini AF, Kiss JE, Imbriglia JE, Azari K, Goitz RJ, Manders EK, Nguyen VT, Cooney DS, Wachtman GS, Keith JD, Fletcher DR, Macedo C, Planinsic R, Losee JE, Shaprio R, Starzl TE, Lee WP. Upper-extremity transplantation using a cell-based protocol to mininize immunosuppression. AM Surg. 2013 257: 345-351
- Xu Y, Galambos C, Reyes-Múgica M, Miller SA, Zeevi Adriana, Webber SA, Feingold B. Utility of routine C4d immunostaining in the first year after pediatric and young adult heart transplantation. J Heart Lung Transplant 2013 32: 92-7
- Tait BD, Süsal C, Gebel HM, Nickerson PW, Zachary AA, Class FH, Reed EF, Bray RA, Campbell P, Chapman JR, Coates PT, Colvin RB, Cozzi E, Doxiadis II, Fuggle SV, Gill J, Glotz D, Lachmann N, Mohanakumar T, Suciu-Foca N, Sumitran-Holgersson S, Tanabe K, Taylor CJ,Tyan DB, Webster A, Zeevi Adriana Opelz G. Consensus guidelines on the testing and clinical management issues associated with HLA and non-HLA antibodies in transplantation. Transplantation 2013 95: 19-47
- Zeevi Adriana, Lunz J, Feingold B, Shullo M, Bermudez C, Teuteberg J, Webber S. Persistent strong anti-HLA antibody at high titer is complement binding and associated with increased risk of antibody-mediated rejection in heart transplant recipients. J Heart Lung Transplant 2013 32: 98-105
- Rimmele T, Kaynar AM, McLaughlin JN, Bishop JV, Fedorchak MV, Chuasuwan A, Peng Z, Singbartl K, Frederick DR, Zhu L, Carter M, Federspiel WJ, Zeevi Adriana Kellum JA. Leukocyte capture and modulation of cell mediated immunity during human sepsis: an ex vivo study. Crit Care 2013 17 (2)-R59
- Lefaucheur C, Loupy A, Zeevi Adriana Complement-binding anti-HLA antibodies and kidney transplantation. N Engl J Med. 2014 370: 85-6
- Haas M, Sis B, Racusen LC, Solez K, Glotz D, Colvin RB, Castro MC, David DS, David-Neto E, Bagnasco SM, Cendales LC, Cornell LD,Demetris AJ, Drachenberg CB, Farver CF, Farris AB 3rd, Gibson IW, Kraus E, Liapis H, Loupy A, Nickeleit V, Randhawa P, Rodriguez ER, Rush D, Smith RN, Tan CD, Wallace WD, Mengel M :Banff meeting report writing committee. Banff 2013 meeting report: inclusion of c4d-negative antibody-mediated rejection and antibody-associated arteral lesions. AM J Transplant. 2014 14: 272-83
- Burckart GJ, Figg WD 2nd, Brooks MM, Green DJ, Troutman SM, Ferrell R, Chinnock R, Canter C, Addonizio L, Bernstein D, Kirklin JK, Naftel D, Price DK, Sissung TM, Girnita DM, Zeevi Adriana, Webber SA. Multi-institutional study of outcomes after pediatric heart transplantation: Candidate gene polymorphism analysis of ABCC2. J Pediatr Pharmacaol Ther. 2014 19: 16-24
- Morrell MR, Pilewski JM, Gries CJ, Pipeling MR, Crespo MM, Ensor CR, Yousem SA, D'Cunha J, Shigemura N, Bermudez CA, McDyer JF, Zeevi Adriana . De novo donor-specific HLA antibodies ae associated with early and high-grade bronchiolitis obliterans syndrome and death after lung transplantation. J Heart Lung Transplant 2014 33: 1288-94
- Zeevi Adriana. Chronic antibody-mediated rejection: new diagnostic tools-clinical significance of C4d deposition and improved detection and characterization of human leucocyte antigen antibodies. Clin Exp Immunol 2014 1: 52-3
- Ashokkumar C, Sun Q, Ningappa M, Higgs BW, Mazariegos G, Zeevi Adriana, Sindhi R. Antithymocyte globulin facilitates alloreactive T-cell apoptosis by means of caspase-3: potential implications for monitoring rejection-free outcomes. Transplantation 2015 99: 164-70
- Vo AA, Zeevi Adriana, Choi J, Cisneros K, Toyoda M, Kahwaji J, Peng A, Villicana R, Puliyanda D, Reinsmoen N, Haas M, Jordan SC. A phase I/II placebo-controlled trial of C1-inhibitor for prevention of antibody-mediated rejection in HLA sensitized patients. Transplantation 2015 99: 299-308
- Duquesnoy RJ, Kamoun M, Baxter -Lowe LA, Woodle ES, Bray RA, Claas FH, Eckels DD, Friedewald JJ, Fuggle SV, Gebel HM, Gerlach JA, Fung JJ, Middleton D, Nickerson P, Shapiro R, Tambur AR, Taylor CJ, Tinckam, Zeevi Adriana. Should HLA mismatch acceptability for sensitized transplant candidates be determined at the high-resolution rather than the antigen level? AM J Transplant 2015 15: 923-30
- Colvin MM, Cook JL, Chang P, Francis G, Hsu DT, Kiernan MS, Kobashigawa JA, Lindenfeld J, Masri SC, Miller D, O'Connell J, Rodriguez ER, Rosengard B, Self S, White-Williams C, Zeevi Adriana; American Heart Association Heart Failure and Transplantation Committee of the Council on Clinical Cardiology, Council on Cardiopulmonary, Critical Care, Perioperative and Resuscitation, Council on Cardiovascular Disease in the Young, Council on Cardiovascular and Stroke Nursing, Council on Cardiovascular Radiology and Intervention, and Council on Cardiovascular Surgery and Anesthesia. Antibody-mediated rejection in cardiac transplantation: emerging knowledge in diagnosis and management: a scientific statement from the american heart association. Circulation 2015 131: 1608-39
- Demetris AJ, Zeevi Adriana, O'Leary JG. ABO-compatible liver allograft antibody-mediated rejection: an update. Curr Opin Organ Transplant. 2015 20: 314-24