Mark H. Yazer, MD
Dr. Yazer is a member of the
Institute for Transfusion Medicine.
Associate Professor of Pathology
Institute for Transfusion Medicine
3636 Blvd. of the Allies
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Office Telephone: 412-209-7522
- MD - University of Ottawa, 2000
Research InterestsDr. Yazer is involved in research in patient blood management, general transfusion practice and blood group genetics.
CertificationsHematological Pathology, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada - 2004
Awards and Honors
- Nominated for University of Pittsburgh Clinical Pathology Faculty of the Year - 2008-10
- University of Pittsburgh Clinical Pathology Faculty of the Year - 2006
Selected PublicationsView Dr. Yazer's publications on PubMed
- Milne M, Yazer MH, Waters JH. Red blood cell salvage during obstetric hemorrhage. Obstetrics & Gynecology. In press.
- Schott N, Yazer MH, Krohner R, Waters JH. Failure of Intra operative red cell salvage: A patient with sickle cell disease and HELLP syndrome. The Journal of Extracorporeal Technology. In press.
- J Cid, M Lozano, A Ziman, KA West, KL O'Brien, MF Murphy, S Wendel, A Vázquez, X Ortín, TA Hervig, M Delaney, WA Flegel, and MH Yazer on behalf of the Biomedical Excellence for Safer Transfusion (BEST) collaborative. Low incidence of anti-D alloimmunization following D+ platelet transfusion: The Anti-D Alloimmunization after D-incompatible Platelet Transfusions (ADAPT) study. British Journal of Haematology 2015;168:598-603.
- Dilla A, Wiesnewski MK, Waters JH, Triulzi DJ, Yazer MH. The Effect of Automated Alerts on Preoperative Anemia Management. Hematology. In press.
- Smith M, Triulzi DJ, Yazer MH, Rollins-Raval MA, Waters JH, Raval JS. Implementation of a simple electronic transfusion alert system decreases inappropriate ordering of packed red blood cells and plasma in a multi-hospital health care system. Transfusion and Apheresis Science 2014;51:53-58.
- Anani W, Triulzi DJ, Yazer MH, Qu L. Relative IgA deficient recipients have an increased risk of severe allergic transfusion reactions. Vox Sanguinis 2014;107:389-392.
- Collins RA, Wiesnewski MK, Waters JH, Triulzi DJ, Yazer MH. The effectiveness of multiple initiatives to reduce blood component wastage. American Journal of Clinical Pathology 2015;143:329-335.