Thomas S. Talamo, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Pathology
Dr. Talamo is a pathologist and Acting Chairman of UPMC Mercy, Department of Laboratory Medicine. He is also Rotation Director of the Community Hospital Pathology Elective and the Pathology Elective for Transitional Year Interns.
Pathology Department, UPMC Mercy
1400 Locust Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15219
Office Telephone: 412-232-7858
- BS - University of Notre Dame, 1975
- MD - Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, 1978
CertificationsAmerican Board of Pathology- Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, 1982
Awards and Honors
- 1975 - Anatomy Award, Jefferson Medical College
- 1975 - 78 - Lance Medical Publications Award
- 1977 - Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society
- 1978 - Alumni Award (Valedictorian), Jefferson Medical College
- 1978 - William S. Potter Memorial Prize in Clinical Medicine
- 1990 - Library Award, Westmoreland Hospital
Selected PublicationsView Dr. Talamo's publications on PubMed
- Talamo TS, Gurecki J, Dekker A. Primary hepatic lymphoma: its association with hepatitis B virus, macronodular cirrhosis, and chronic active hepatitis. Cancer. 1980; 46(2): 336-39.
- Talamo TS, Shonnard J. Small renal adenocarcinoma with metastases. J Urol. 1980; 124(1): 132-34.
- Talamo TS, Kessler G, Norbut A. Opportunistic pneumonia due to a new acid-fast bacterium. A case report. Am J Clin Pathol. 1980; 74(6): 842-45.
- Talamo TS, Borochovitz D, Atchison R. Fatal infectious mononucleosis in a 63 year old man. An autopsy report. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 1981; 105: 461-65.
- Talamo TS, Losos F, Gebhardt W, Kessler G. Microcomputer assisted hematology quality control using a modified average of normals program. Am J Clin Pathol. 1981; 76(5): 707-12.
- Talamo TS, Losos F, Kessler G. Autopsy pathology storage and coding (APSAC) by Microcomputer. Pathologist. 1982; 37(2): 82-85.
- Talamo TS, MacPherson T, Dominguez R. Angiographic demonstration of vascular Anomalies in sirenomelia – a case report. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 1982; 106: 347-48.
- Talamo TS, Losos F, Kessler G. Microcomputer assisted interpretive reporting of protein electrophoresis data. Am J Clin Pathol. 1982; 77(6): 726-30.
- Talamo TS, Borochovitz D. Membranous glomerulonephritis associated with Guillain- Barre syndrome. Am J Clin Pathol. 1982; 78(4): 563-66.
- Talamo TS, Bender B, Ellis L. Adenocarcinoma of the fallopian tube. An ultrastructural study. Virchows Arch. 1982; 397: 363-68.
- Talamo TS, Geyer S. Malignant lymphoma associated with hypercalcemia and elevated serum parathormone. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 1982; 108: 688-89.
- Talamo TS, Mendelow H. Primary intracranial germinoma with massive ventriculoperitoneal shunt metastases. J Surg Oncol. 1985; 28: 39-41.
- Talamo TS, Losos F. Surgical pathology accessioning and management on a multi-user hard disk microcomputer system. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 1985; 109: 19-23.
- Power J, Wing E, Talamo TS. Fatal bacterial endocarditis as a complication of permanent indwelling catheters: Report of two cases. Am J Med. 1986; 81: 166-68.
- Granick M, Conklin W, Ramasastry S, Talamo TS. Devastating scalp infections. Am J Emerg Med. 1986; 4: 136-40.
- Solano F, Young E, Talamo TS, Dekker A. Constrictive pericarditis in a patient mimicking Budd-Chiari syndrome: Report of a case. Am J Med. 1986; 80: 113-15.
- Ruben F, Talamo TS. Secondary alveolar proteinosis occurring in two patients with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome. Am J Med. 1986; 80: 1187-190.
- Roehrkasse R, Roberts I, Wald A, Talamo TS, Mendelow H. Celiac sprue complicated by malignant histiocytosis presenting with multiple gastric ulcers. Gastroenterology. 1986; 91: 740-45.
- Mercer D, Talamo TS. Multiple markers of malignancy in sera of patients with colorectal carcinoma: Preliminary clinical studies. Clin Chem. 1985; 31: 1824-828.
- Talamo TS, Losos F, Mercer D. Sequential tumor marker reporting and analysis by microcomputer. Inform Pathol. 1986; 1: 45-50.
- Talamo TS, Losos F, Mercer D. Microcomputer assisted interpretation of sequential cardiac profile data. Am J Clin Pathol. 1986; 86: 336-40.
Book Chapters and Conference Proceedings
- Talamo TS, Losos F, Kessler G. Interpretative reporting of protein electrophoretic data by microcomputer. Proceedings of the Sixth Annual Symposium on Computer Applications in Medical Care; 1982 Oct 13-20; Baltimore, MD. Baltimore: IEEE Computer Society Press; 1982. 759-61.
- Talamo TS, Losos F. Surgical pathology accessioning and management on a multi- user hard disk microcomputer system. Proceedings of the Seventh Annual Symposium on Computer Applications in Medical Care; 1983 Oct 13-20; Washington, DC. Baltimore: IEEE Computer Society Press; 1983. 261-63.
- Talamo TS, Losos F. Microcomputer assisted interpretative reporting of sequential creatine kinase (CK) and lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) isoenzyme determinations. Proceedings of the Eighth Annual Symposium on Computer Applications in Medical Care; 1984 Oct 13-20; Baltimore, MD. Baltimore: IEEE Computer Society Press; 1984. 287-90.
- Losos F, Talamo TS. Microcomputer applications in the clinical laboratory using LOTUS 1-2-3. Proceedings of the Ninth Annual Symposium on Computer Applications in Medical Care; 1985 Oct 13-20; Washington, DC. Baltimore: IEEE Computer Society Press; 1985. 518.
- Talamo TS, Losos F, Mercer D. Microcomputer assisted reporting and analysis of sequential tumor marker determinations. Proceedings of the Ninth Annual Symposium on Computer Applications in Medical Care; 1985 Oct 13-20; Washington, DC. Baltimore: IEEE Computer Society Press; 1985. 30-33.
- Mercer D, Talamo TS. Chapter - The role of biochemical markers in the management of cancer. Glew RH, Peters SP. Clinical studies in medical biochemistry. New York: Oxford University Press; 1986.