Aatur D. Singhi, MD, PhD
Dr. Singhi is a member of the Division of Anatomic Pathology.
Scaife Hall, Room 616.2
200 Lothrop Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Office Telephone: 412-864-1508
- MD - Case Western Reserve University, 2007
- PhD - University of Illinois at Chicago, 2005
Clinical ExpertiseDr. Singhi is a surgical pathologist with subspecialty training in gastrointestinal, liver and pancreatobiliary pathology. His diagnostic expertise includes both neoplastic and non-neoplastic diseases of the gastrointestinal system, liver, biliary tract and pancreas.
Dr. Singhi's interest revolves around translational research in the area of gastrointestinal and pancreatobiliary pathology. This past year most of my projects were focus on pancreatic cysts: intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasms (IPMNs), mucinous cystic neoplasms (MCNs), cystic pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors and solid pseudopapillary neoplasms (SPNs). Regarding the mucinous cysts (IPMNs and MCNs), we recently published the largest series of molecular testing of pancreatic cyst fluid of 618 pancreatic cysts in Modern Pathology. A follow-up manuscript was recently published in Clinical Cancer Research looking at the combination of GNAS and KRAS testing. In conjunction with Johns Hopkins, we are involved in a multi-institutional study to assess the genetic signatures of malignant versus benign pancreatic cysts. With the help of Dr. Nikiforova, we will soon be presenting the results of our new 7-gene panel for the assessment of pancreatic cysts. In addition, we identified a novel marker (LEF-1, a binding transcription factor to beta-catenin) for SPNs that was published in Modern Pathology. Currently, we are working on the utility of the proteins ATRX and DAXX as prognostic markers of pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors. Non-neoplastic pancreatic pathology is also an interest of mine and in collaboration with Johns Hopkins and Dartmouth, we are reporting the histopathology of SPINK1 and CFTR chronic pancreatitis. In addition to examining pancreatic pathology, I’m also involved in assessing the molecular genetics of peritoneal mesotheliomas with Drs. Dacic and Choudry. With the help of Drs. Seethala and Schoedel, we are examining the prognostic significance of ATRX in soft tissue neoplasms.
The above work has culminated into 2 funded grants - one from the Lustgarten Foundation with Dr. Randy Brand and another from the National Pancreas Foundation, Western Pennsylvania Chapter. Further, I am a co-investigator on a funded RO1 grant with Dr. Herbert Zeh and Michael Lotz looking at RAGE analysis in pancreatic cancers. Lastly, I am currently helping Dr. David Whitcomb in writing a multi-institutional grant looking at the molecular genetics and pathology of chronic pancreatitis using RNASeq technology.
SpecialtiesGastrointestinal and Pancreatobiliary Pathology
CertificationsBoard Certified in Anatomic Pathology and Clinical Pathology
Awards and Honors
- 2012 - AACR-FNAB Fellows Grant for Translational Pancreatic Cancer Research
- 2012 - Roger Haggit Gastrointestinal Pathology Society USCAP Abstract Award
- 2010-2011 - Chief Resident, Department of Pathology, Johns Hopkins Hospital
- 2005 - Finalist, F. Merlin Bumpus Junior Investigator Award, Lerner Research Institute, Cleveland Clinic
- 2003-2005 - Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation Dissertation Research Award
Selected PublicationsView Dr. Singhi's publications on PubMed
- Singhi AD, Ishida H, Ali SZ, Goggins M, Canto M, Wolfgang CL, Meriden Z, Roberts N, Klein AP, Hruban RH. A histomorphologic comparison of familial and sporadic pancreatic cancers. Pancreatology. 2015 Apr 23.
- Boone BA, Orlichenko L, Schapiro NE, Loughran P, Gianfrate GC, Ellis JT, Singhi AD, Kang R, Tang D, Lotze MT, Zeh HJ. The receptor for advanced glycation end products (RAGE) enhances autophagy and neutrophil extracellular traps in pancreatic cancer. Cancer Gene Ther. 2015 Apr 24.
- Boone BA, Bahary N, Zureikat AH, Moser AJ, Normolle DP, Wu WC, Singhi AD, Bao P, Bartlett DL, Liotta LA, Espina V, Loughran P, Lotze MT, Zeh HJ 3rd. Safety and Biologic Response of Pre-operative Autophagy Inhibition in Combination with Gemcitabine in Patients with Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma. Ann Surg Oncol. 2015 Apr 24.
- Ma C, Park JY, Montgomery EA, Arnold CA, McDonald OG, Liu TC, Salaria SN, Limketkai BN, McGrath KM, Musahl T, Singhi AD. A Comparative Clinicopathologic Study of Collagenous Gastritis in Children and Adults: The Same Disorder With Associated Immune-mediated Diseases. Am J Surg Pathol. 2015 Jun;39(6):802-12.
- Amjad AI, Singhi AD, Balaban EP, Dudley B, Brand RE, Bahary N. First reported case of a squamous cell carcinoma arising in the duodenum in a patient with Lynch syndrome. Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2014 Dec 1;7(12):8988-95.
- Singhi AD, Foxwell TJ, Nason K, Cressman KL, McGrath KM, Sun W, Bahary N, Zeh HJ, Levy RM, Luketich JD, Davison JM. Smad4 loss in esophageal adenocarcinoma is associated with an increased propensity for disease recurrence and poor survival. Am J Surg Pathol. 2015 Apr;39(4):487-95.
- Singhi AD, Seethala RR, Nason K, Foxwell TJ, Roche RL, McGrath KM, Levy RM, Luketich JD, Davison JM. Undifferentiated carcinoma of the esophagus: a clinicopathological study of 16 cases. Hum Pathol. 2015 Mar;46(3):366-75.
- Kalyan A, Pasricha G, Monga D, Singhi A, Bahary N. Case report of rhabdoid colon cancer and review of literature. Clin Colorectal Cancer. 2015 Mar;14(1):e5-8.
- Regueiro MD, Greer JB, Binion DG, Schraut WH, Goyal A, Keljo DJ, Cross RK, Williams ED, Herfarth HH, Siegel CA, Oikonomou I, Brand MH, Hartman DJ, Tublin ME, Davis PL, Baidoo L, Szigethy E, Watson AR; IBD LIVE Physician Group - The inflammatory bowel disease live interinstitutional and interdisciplinary videoconference education (IBD LIVE) series. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2014 Oct;20(10):1687-95.
- Boone BA, Steve J, Zenati MS, Hogg ME, Singhi AD, Bartlett DL, Zureikat AH, Bahary N, Zeh HJ 3rd. Serum CA 19-9 Response to Neoadjuvant Therapy is Associated with Outcome in Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma. Ann Surg Oncol. 2014 Aug 5.
- Ali MA, Arnold CA, Singhi AD, Voltaggio L. Clues to uncommon and easily overlooked infectious diagnoses affecting the GI tract and distinction from their clinicopathologic mimics. Gastrointest Endosc. 2014 Jul 25.
- Voltaggio L, Lam-Himlin D, Limketkai BN, Singhi AD, Arnold CA. Message in a bottle: decoding medication injury patterns in the gastrointestinal tract. J Clin Pathol. 2014 Jul 15.
- Singhi AD, Nikiforova MN, Fasanella KE, McGrath KM, Pai RK, Ohori NP, Bartholow TL, Brand RE, Chennat JS, Lu X, Papachristou GI, Slivka A, Zeh HJ, Zureikat AH, Lee KK, Tsung A, Mantha GS, Khalid A. Preoperative GNAS and KRAS Testing in the Diagnosis of Pancreatic Mucinous Cysts. Clin Cancer Res. 2014 Aug 15;20(16):4381-9.
- Singhi AD, Davison JM, Choudry HA, Pingpank JF, Ahrendt SA, Holtzman MP, Zureikat AH, Zeh HJ, Ramalingam L, Mantha G, Nikiforova M, Bartlett DL, Pai RK. GNAS is frequently mutated in both low-grade and high-grade disseminated appendiceal mucinous neoplasms but does not affect survival. Hum Pathol. 2014 Aug;45(8):1737-43.
- Arnold MA, Swanson BJ, Crowder CD, Frankel WL, Lam-Himlin D, Singhi AD, Stanich PP, Arnold CA. Colesevelam and Colestipol: Novel Medication Resins in the Gastrointestinal Tract. Am J Surg Pathol. 2014 Jun 11.
- Boone BA, Sabbaghian S, Zenati M, Marsh JW, Moser AJ, Zureikat AH, Singhi AD, Zeh HJ 3rd, Krasinskas AM. Loss of SMAD4 staining in pre-operative cell blocks is associated with distant metastases following pancreaticoduodenectomy with venous resection for pancreatic cancer. J Surg Oncol. 2014 Aug;110(2):171-5.
- Singhi AD, Lilo M, Hruban RH, Cressman KL, Fuhrer K, Seethala RR. Overexpression of Lymphoid Enhancer-Binding Factor 1 (LEF1) in solid-pseudopapillary neoplasms of the pancreas. Mod Pathol. 2014 Mar 21.
- Chu LC, Singhi AD, Hruban RH, Fishman EK. Characterization of pancreatic serous cystadenoma on dual-phase multidetector computed tomography. J Comput Assist Tomogr. 2014 Mar-Apr;38(2):258-63.
- Davison JM, Hartman DA, Singhi AD, Choudry HA, Ahrendt SA, Zureikat AH, Ramalingam L, Nikiforova M, Pai RK. Loss of SMAD4 protein expression is associated with high tumor grade and poor prognosis in disseminated appendiceal mucinous neoplasms. Am J Surg Pathol. 2014 May;38(5):583-92.
- Singhi AD, Pai RK, Kant JA, Bartholow TL, Zeh HJ, Lee KK, Wijkstrom M, Yadav D, Bottino R, Brand RE, Chennat JS, Lowe ME, Papachristou GI, Slivka A, Whitcomb DC, Humar A. The histopathology of PRSS1 hereditary pancreatitis. Am J Surg Pathol. 2014 Mar;38(3):346-53.
- Scherer JR, Holinga J, Sanders M, Chennat J, Khalid A, Fasanella K, Singhi AD, McGrath K. Small Duodenal Carcinoids: A Case Series Comparing Endoscopic Resection and Autoamputation With Band Ligation. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2014 Feb 10.
- Voltaggio L, Montgomery EA, Ali MA, Singhi AD, Arnold CA. Sex, lies, and gastrointestinal tract biopsies: a review of selected sexually transmitted proctocolitides. Adv Anat Pathol. 2014 Mar;21(2):83-93.
- Seminerio J, McGrath K, Arnold CA, Voltaggio L, Singhi AD. Medication-associated lesions of the GI tract. Gastrointest Endosc. 2014 Jan;79(1):140-50.
- Salman B, Brat G, Yoon YS, Hruban RH, Singhi AD, Fishman EK, Herman JM, Wolfgang CL. The diagnosis and surgical treatment of pancreatoblastoma in adults: a case series and review of the literature. Gastrointest Surg. 2013 Dec;17(12):2153-61.
- Singhi AD, Norwood S, Liu TC, Sharma R, Wolfgang CL, Schulick RD, Zeh HJ, Hruban RH. Acinar cell cystadenoma of the pancreas: a benign neoplasm or non-neoplastic ballooning of acinar and ductal epithelium? Am J Surg Pathol. 2013 Sep;37(9):1329-35.
- Singhi AD, Goyal A, Davison JM, Regueiro MD, Roche RL, Ranganathan S. Pediatric autoimmune enteropathy: an entity frequently associated with immunodeficiency disorders. Mod Pathol. 2014 Apr;27(4):543-53.
- Raman SP, Singhi A, Horton KM, Hruban RH, Fishman EK. Sclerosing angiomatoid nodular transformation of the spleen (SANT): multimodality imaging appearance of five cases with radiology-pathology correlation. Abdom Imaging. 2013 Aug;38(4):827-34.
- Singhi, A.D., Arnold, C.A., Crowder, C.D., Lam-Himlin, D.M., Voltaggio, L., Montgomery, E.A. Esophageal leukoplakia or epidermoid metaplasia: a clinicopathological study of 18 patients. Mod Pathol. 2013 Jun 14.
- Nikiforova, M.N, Khalid, A., Fasanella, K.E., McGrath, K.M., Brand, R.E., Chennat, J.S., Slivka, A., Zeh, H.J., Zureikat, A.H., Krasinskas, A.M., Ohori, N.P., Schoedel, K.E., Navina, S., Mantha, G.S., Pai, R.K., Singhi, A.D. Integration of KRAS testing in the diagnosis of pancreatic cystic lesions: a clinical experience of 618 pancreatic cysts. Mod Pathol. 2013 Jun 7.
- Ellison TA, Wolfgang CL, Shi C, Cameron JL, Murakami P, Mun LJ, Singhi AD, Cornish TC, Olino K, Meriden Z, Choti M, Diaz LA, Pawlik TM, Schulick RD, Hruban RH, Edil BH. A Single Institution's 26-Year Experience With Nonfunctional Pancreatic Neuroendocrine Tumors: A Validation of Current Staging Systems and a New Prognostic Nomogram. Ann Surg. 2013 May 12.
- Kawamoto S, Johnson PT, Shi C, Singhi AD, Hruban RH, Wolfgang CL, Edil BH, Fishman EK. Pancreatic neuroendocrine tumor with cystlike changes: evaluation with MDCT. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2013 Mar;200(3):W283-90.
- Liu TC, Lin MT, Montgomery EA, Singhi AD. Inflammatory fibroid polyps of the gastrointestinal tract: spectrum of clinical, morphologic, and immunohistochemistry features. Am J Surg Pathol. 2013 Apr;37(4):586-92.