A. William Pasculle, ScD
Associate Professor of Pathology
Dr. Pasculle is a member of the Division of Clinical Microbiology.
Rm. A807 Scaife Hall
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA 15261
Office Telephone: 412-647-6610
Research InterestsDr. Pasculle is the Director of the UPMC's Clinical Microbiology laboratories. He received his doctorate in Microbiology from the University of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public Health. Dr. Pasculle is renowned for his discovery of Legionella micdadei, the second pathogenic member of the genus Legionella, and for his subsequent studies of the pathobiology and ecology of these organisms. One of the species in the genus is named in his honor. He is also recognized for identifying Mycoplasma hominis as an extragenital pathogen in immuosuppressed and normal individuals. He has given numerous invited presentations locally, nationally and abroad. His bibliography has almost 100 scientific publications, review articles and book chapters. Most recently, his research interests involve the transmission, detection and therapy of infections due to vancomycin-resistant enterococci.
Selected PublicationsView Dr. Pasculle's publications on PubMed
- Muto CA, Pokrywka M, Shutt K, Mendelsohn AB, Nouri K, Posey K, Roberts T, Croyle K, Krystofiak S, Patel-Brown S, Pasculle AW, Paterson DL, Saul M, Harrison LH. A large outbreak of Clostridium difficile-associated disease with an unexpected proportion of deaths and colectomies at a teaching hospital following increased fluoroquinolone use. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2005, 26:273-80.
- Vukmir, R.B., Kusne, S., Linden P., Pasculle, W., Fothergill, AW., Sheaffer, Nieto, J., Segal, R., hadar, M., Martinez, AJ., and Rinaldi, G.M. 1994. Successful therapy cerebral phaeopyphomycosis due to Dactylaria gallopava in a liver transplant recipient. Clin. Infect. Dis. 19:714-719.
- Sakallah, S., Pasculle. A.W., Lanning, R, McDevilt, D., and Cooper, D. 1995. Typing of Legionella pneumophlla serogroup 1 isolates by degenerate (D-)RAPD fingerprinting. Mol. Cell. Probes, 9.405-414.
- Edmond, M.A., Wenzel, R. I., and Pasculle, AW 1996. Vancomycin-resistant Styphylococcus aureus: Perspectives on measures needed for control, Ann. Int Med. 124;329-334.
- Linden, P.K, Pasculle, AW , Manez, R., Kremer, D.J., Fung, JJ., Pinna, A.D., and S. Kusne. 1996. Difference in outcomes for patients with bacteremia due to vancomycin-resistent Enterococcus faecium or vancomycin-suscectible Enterococcus faecium. Clin. Infect. Dis. 22:663-670.