Jeffrey S. Nine, MD, MDiv
Professor of Pathology
Dr. Nine is the director of adult autopsy services for the UPMC Hospitals, as well as chair of Decedent Affairs, managing the after-death care of patients for UPMC Presbyterian and Montefiore hospitals.
UPMC Presbyterian Hospital
200 Lothrop Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Office Telephone: 412-647-9843
Clinical ExpertiseAs an Autopsy and Forensic Pathologist, and prior UPMC Pathology Resident, Dr. Nine has 20 years of experience performing autopsies, testifying in court, and helping families through the grief process surrounding the death of their loved ones. Dr. Nine has both national and international experience, serving as Medical Examiner for the Commonwealth of Dominica (West Indies), Medical Investigator for the State of New Mexcio, Coroner's Pathologist in Ohio, as well as Assistant Chief Medical Examiner in Phoenix, Arizona. Dr. Nine has acted as director of the hospital autopsy service and director of the forensic pathology fellowship program at the University of New Mexico Health Sciences System and Medical Investigator's Office. Dr. Nine has personally performed thousands of autopsies and supervised many others as an educator for pathology residents and forensic pathology fellows. He has testified numerous times in the court systems of Ohio, Arizona, New Mexico and the Commonwealth of Dominica as an expert in forensic and autopsy pathology, and is actively engaged in consultation review of autopsy material in medical malpractice cases.
Dr. Nine has served on a number of national committees, including the Toxicology and Forensic Pathology Committees for the College of American Pathologists (CAP). Currently he is the Director of the Autopsy and Forensic Pathology Center of Excellence at UPMC.
Research InterestsDr. Nine's areas of research interest are focused on pathology education, forensic toxicology, public health issues, as well as pathology informatics and the use of technology in pathology practice and pathology education.
CertificationsAmerican Board of Pathology - Anatomic, Clinical and Forensic Pathology
SpecialtiesAutopsy and Forensic Pathology
Selected Publications and Recent Scholarly ActivityView Dr. Nine's publications on PubMed
- Alkaptonuria Presenting as Methemoglobinemia. USCAP National Meeting, Spring 2017.
- Use cases for Microsoft HoloLens in Pathology. USCAP National Meeting, Spring 2017.
- Cardiac Conduction System Pathology in the Hospital Setting: A Selection of Cases. USCAP National Meeting, Spring 2016.
- Centralizing Multivariate Death Processes: Creating a CTB Hub in the ICC. UPMC PUH/SHY Quality Fair 2016, 2nd place award.
- High Risk Autopsy Cases in Autopsy Performance and Reporting. 3rd Edition, CAP Press, 2015. Chapter 12.
- Applications of Google Glass [GLΛSS™] in autopsy pathology. Association for Pathology Informatics (API) summit. Best Pathology Informatics Poster award.
- Nine JS et al. Universal Precautions and High Risk Autopsies. Medscape. 2012
- Devers KG, Nine JS. Autopsy findings in botulinum toxin poisoning. J Forensic Sci. 2010 Nov;55(6):1649-51. PMID: 20533981