Joseph T. Newsome, DVM
Dr. Newsome is Associate Professor of Pathology and the Clinical Director of the Division of Laboratory
Animal Resources (DLAR), Health Sciences and also the Attending Veterinarian for the University of
Pittsburgh. With over 27 years of coordinating preclinical and translational research with the use of
animal models. He is a central reference resource for the Division of Laboratory Animal Resources and
the University concerning collaborative integration between disparate research groups using a wide
range of animal models. Knowledge of available programmatic animal based resources such as animal
modeling, facility design and mangement, clinical study design, imaging, veterinary immunopathology,
and veterinary surgery are key supports to the institution and this proposed study. This oversight of
research using animal models occurs at the various branches of the University including the the Six Schools of the
Health Sciences, and Schools of the Arts and Sciences. His support extends but is not limited to animal
model research at the Hillman Cancer Center, McGowan Institute of Regenerative Medicine, the Starzl
Transplant Institute, to name a few.
Research Associate Professor of Pathology
1050 South TE
Starzl Biomedical Science Tower
200 Lothrop Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Office Telephone: 412-648-8950
Lab Telephone: 412-864-7558
Clinical ExpertiseLaboratory animal Medicine including: Preclinical animal modeling, anesthesia, euthanasia, immunopathology, dermatopathology, comparative medicine and pathology, laboratory animal management, aquatic medicine, and surgery.
Research InterestsExpertise in immunopathology, vaccinology, device testing, dermatopathology, Papillomavirus, infectious disease animal modeling, biocontainment, biosecurity, cancer, and virology preclinical modeling research
NIH ResearchView Dr. Newsome's NIH RePORT on nih.gov
Selected PublicationsView Dr. Newsome's publications on PubMed
- Reactivation of Macacine herpesvirus 1 In Non-Human Primates: A Case Study in Risk Assessment and Institutional Response .MS. Stitt-Fischer,Kelly Hopper, Joseph Newsome, Jay Frerotte, MBA ABSA Orlando Orlando, FL. Presented at: National ABSA 2012 Oct 19 - 24. Orlando. FL.
- Weiland L, Yothers R, Janssen C, Newsome JT. The Toy Menu: Photo Chart to Concisely Communicate Critical Details When Utilizing a Large Number of Diverse Enrichment Devices Across Multiple Species and Multiple Facilities (abstract). Journal of the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science. 2011 Sep;50(no5):Pages 722-820.
- McDonald K, Newsome JT, Heflin D, Keller C. Using Total Quality Management Techniques to Manage Nonhuman Primate Obesity in a Multifacility Animal Program (abstract). JAALAS. 2012 Sep;51(5):676. Abstract no. P93.
- Adusumilli S, Wagner R, Newsome J. Authority to establish housing requirements. Performance standards for housing. Lab Anim (NY) Sep 2011; 40(9): 270 PMID: 21857641. (Invited)
- Yates BJ, Newsome J. IACUC evaluation and external scientific review. Study section's opinion matters. Lab Anim (NY) Sep 2010; 39(9): 259-60. PMID: 20729821. (Invited)
- Gokhale PC, Zhang C, Newsome JT, Pei J, Ahmad I, Rahman A, Dritschilo A, Kasid UN. Pharmacokinetics, toxicity, and efficacy of ends-modified raf antisense oligodeoxyribonucleotide encapsulated in a novel cationic liposome. Clinical cancer research: an official journal of the American Association for Cancer Research. 2002 Nov;8(11):3611-21. PMID: 12429653.
- Yuan H, Ghim S, Newsome J, Apolinario T, Olcese V, Martin M, Delius H, Felsburg P, Jenson B, Schlegel R. An epidermotropic canine papillomavirus with malignant potential contains an E5 gene and establishes a unique genus. Virology. 2007 Mar 1;359(1):28-36. PMID: 17034826.
- Hopper K, Ness RJ, Newsome JT, Capozzi D. Retrospective Cohort Analysis of Reproductive Outcomes in a Colony of Rhesus Macaques (abstract). CONTEMPORARY TOPICS. 2003 Jul;42(4):64-123. Abstract no. PS14
- Ghim S, Newsome J, Bell J, Sundberg JP, Schlegel R, Jenson AB. Spontaneously regressing oral papillomas induce systemic antibodies that neutralize canine oral papillomavirus. Experimental and molecular pathology. 2000 Jun;68(3):147-51. PMID: 10816383.
- Hunter WD, Martuza RL, Feigenbaum F, Todo T, Mineta T, Yazaki T, Toda M, Newsome JT, Platenberg RC, Manz HJ, Rabkin SD. Attenuated, replication-competent herpes simplex virus type 1 mutant G207: safety evaluation of intracerebral injection in nonhuman primates. Journal of virology. 1999 Aug;73(8):6319-26. PMID: 10400723. PMCID: PMC112710.
- Sobel DO, Newsome J, Ewel CH, Bellanti JA, Abbassi V, Creswell K, Blair O. Poly I:C induces development of diabetes mellitus in BB rat. Diabetes. 1992 Apr;41(4):515-20. PMID: 1535056.
- Iverson SJ, Kirk CL, Hamosh M, Newsome J. Milk lipid digestion in the neonatal dog: the combined actions of gastric and bile salt stimulated lipases. Biochimica et biophysica acta. 1991 Apr 24;1083(1):109-19. PMID: 2031934.