Sara A. Monaghan, MD
Visiting Associate Professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Dr. Monaghan has recently rejoined the UPMC community and is a hematopathologist experienced in adult and pediatric bone marrow and lymphoid tissue pathology. She has special expertise in flow cytometry analysis and has recently been appointed as the medical director of the Clinical Flow Cytometry Laboratory at UPMC Presbyterian. She also chairs the education committee of the Society for Hematopathology, which includes active oversight for the enrichment of the society's teaching archive. Her research interests include myeloproliferative neoplasms, myelodysplastic syndromes, plasma cell neoplasms, flow cytometric immunophenotyping of malignancies (e.g. standardization and residual disease detection) and graduate medical education.
200 Lothrop Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Office Telephone: 412-647-8504
- MD - Mayo Medical School, Rochester, Minnesota, 1995
- Adult and pediatric bone marrow and lymphoid tissue pathology
- Myeloproliferative neoplasms
- Myelodysplastic syndromes
- Plasma cell neoplasms
- Flow cytometric immunophenotyping of malignancies (e.g. standardization and residual disease detection)
- Graduate medical education
- American Board of Pathology - Hematology, 2002
- American Board of Pathology - Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, 2001
- Flow cytometry analysis
Selected PublicationsView Dr. Monaghan's publications on PubMed
- Monaghan SA, Felgar RE, Kelly MA, Ali AM, Anastasi J, Bellara AP, Rinder HM, Sargent RL, Wagner J, Swerdlow SH, Johnson RL. Does Taking the Fellowship In-Service Hematopathology Examination and Performance Relate to Success on the American Board of Pathology Hematology Examination? Am J Clin Pathol. 2016 Jul;146(1):107-12. doi: 10.1093/ajcp/aqw085. PMID: 27357289.
- Koduru P, Guruju N, Patel P, Wen J, Wilson K, Patel P, Monaghan S. A Unique Rearrangement of PDGFRα and ETV6 in a Patient with Acute Myeloid Leukemia with Myelodysplasia-Related Changes Progressed from Chronic Myelomonocytic Leukemia. Hematology and Leukemia. Hematol Leuk. 2016; 4:1. http://dx.doi.org/10.7243/2052-434X-4-1.
- Xu X, Su M, Levy NB, Mohtashamian A, Monaghan S, Kaur P, Zaremba C, Garcia R, Broome HE, Dell'Aquila ML, Wang, HY. Myeloid neoplasm with t(3;8)(q26;q24): report of six cases and review of the literature. Leuk Lymphoma. 2014;55:2532-7. PMID: 24397594.
- Kumar K, Koduru P, Timmons C, Monaghan S, Cavalier M, Luu, HS. Myelodysplastic Syndrome (MDS)-Associated Cytogenetic Abnormalities in Pediatric Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2013;60:E146-8. PMID: 23868765.
- Monaghan SA, Dai, L, Mapara MY, Normolle DP, Gollin SM, Lentzsch S. Longitudinal bone marrow evaluations for myelodysplasia in myeloma patients before and after treatment with lenalidomide. Leuk Lymphoma. 2013;54:1965-74. PMID: 23216269.