Alesia Kaplan, MD
Assistant Professor of Pathology
Dr. Kaplan is an Assistant Medical Director of a large Centralized Transfusion Service (CTS) at The Institute for Transfusion Medicine (ITxM). CTS serves four teaching hospitals and more than 10 community hospitals in the greater Pittsburgh area and several hospitals in West Virginia, transfusing more than 115K red blood cells and 100K platelets annually. Dr. Kaplan is committed to teaching medical students, residents and fellows.
University of Pittsburgh
Institute of Transfusion Medicine
3636 Blvd of the Allies
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Office Telephone: 412-209-7238
- MD - Vitebsk State Medical University, Belarus, 2006
Clinical ExpertiseDr. Kaplan covers Transfusion Services including investigation of transfusion reactions, blood component therapy, RBC antibody work-up, investigation of platelet refractoriness and in charge of HIV/HCV lookback program.
Research InterestsDr. Kaplan has a great interest in Pathogen Inactivation Technologies for blood products.
- The American Board of Pathology, Clinical and Anatomic Pathology
SpecialtiesClinical Pathology, Blood Banking/Transfusion Medicine
Awards and Honors
- 2014 University of Minnesota, Pathology, Ernst Award for Research
- Kaplan A, Morgan S, Zantek N. "Management of systemic unfractionated heparin anticoagulation during therapeutic plasma exchange." J Clin Apher. 2016 Jan 11
- Mohammed J, Beura LK, Bobr A, Astry B, Chicoine B, Kashem SW, Welty NE, Igyártó BZ, Wijeyesinghe S, Thompson EA, Matte C, Bartholin L, Kaplan A, Sheppard D, Bridges AG, Shlomchik WD, Masopust D, Kaplan DH. "Stromal cells control the epithelial residence of DCs and memory T cells by regulated activation of TGF-β." Nat Immunol. 2016 Feb 22.
- Kaplan A, Aznar M, Lindgren B, Marschner S, Zalba S, Sanchez P, Ayape M, Olavarria E, Antelo M. "Evaluation of the performance and safety of Riboflavin-based pathogen reduction technology (PRT) treated platelet products stored in platelet additive solution for 5 days vs.6-7 days in routine use.'' First revision was resubmitted to Transfusion and Apheresis Science.
- Kaplan A, Berntson D, Ferrieri P. "Postpartum Cryptococcal pulmonary lesion incidentally discovered during a pulmonary embolism evaluation." Lab Medicine. 2015 Winter;46(1):69-73.
- Kaplan A, Shiao H-T, Jackson S, Dickson EL, Jonson AL , Cherkassky V, Truskinovsky AM. "The use of machine learning to analyze the features of endometrial malignant mesodermal mixed tumors". Modern Pathology 2014; 27 (Supplement 2s): 400A. Selected for the Stowell-Orbison and Surgical/Autopsy Pathology Awards.
- Shahi M, Li X, Kaplan A, Fehr D, Banerjee A, Morellas V, Papanikolopoulos N, Truskinovsky AM. "The use of computer vision for the diagnosis of benign and malignant smooth muscle neoplasms of the uterus". Modern Pathology 2014; 27 (Supplement 2s): 402A. Selected for the Stowell-Orbison and Surgical/Autopsy Pathology Awards Competition.
- Kaplan A, Li X, Sivalingam R, Somasundaram G, Banerjee A, Morellas V, Papanikolopoulos N, Truskinovsky AM. "Computer vision methods in surgical pathology: Diagnosing carcinoma of the breast." Modern Pathology 2013; 26 (Supplement 2): 380A. Selected for the Stowell-Orbison and Surgical/Autopsy Pathology Awards.
- Samad A, Kaplan A, Arain M, Jessurun J, Manivel C, Pambuccian S.''Endoscopic ultrasound guided fine needle aspiration diagnosis of biliary large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma. Report of a case.'' Diagn Cytopathol. 2013.
- Kaplan A, Zantek N, Morgan S, Cohn C. "A review of the Massive Transfusion Protocol (MTP) at a Single Institution." Transfusion, Volume 53, Issue supplement S2. AABB abstract 2013.
- Kaplan A, Samad A, Dolan MM, Cioc AM, Holman CJ, Schmechel SC, Pambuccian SE. ''Follicular Lymphoma Transformed to ''Double-Hit'' B Lymphoblastic Lymphoma Presenting in Peritoneal Fluid.'' Diagn Cytopathol. 2013 Nov;41(11):986-90.