Simion I. Chiosea, MD
Associate Professor of Pathology
Dr. Chiosea is a member of the Division of Anatomic Pathology and director of Quality Assurance at UPMC Presbyterian.
UPMC Presbyterian Hospital
Anatomic Pathology Department
200 Lothrop Street, Room A616
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Office Telephone: 412-647-5565
- MD - 2000, State University of Medicine and Pharmacy, N. Testemitanu, Chișinău, Moldova
Clinical ExpertiseHead and Neck and Endocrine Pathology
- Salivary gland pathology
- KRAS, EGFR, BRAF mutant allele specific imbalance in solid tumors
- Oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinomas
- Historic pathology archive
SpecialtiesHead and Neck and Endocrine Pathology
- American Head and Neck Society, Paper Award Winners, Best Resident Clinical Paper for the 8th International Conference on Head and Neck Cancer, Jessica H. Maxwell, MD, MPH: "Extracapsular Spread is Not Associated with Worse Survival in p16-Positive Oropharyngeal Cancer Patients"
- USCAP, 2012, North American Society of Head and Neck Pathology, Leon Barnes, Award for best poster by a pathologist in training entitled "Mammary Analogue Secretory Carcinoma" (C. Griffith)
Selected PublicationsView Dr. Chiosea's recent publications on PubMed
- Early squamous cell carcinoma of the oral tongue: comparing margins obtained from the glossectomy specimen to margins from the tumor bed. Chang AM, Kim SW, Duvvuri U, Johnson JT, Myers EN, Ferris RL, Gooding WE, Seethala RR, Chiosea SI. Oral Oncol. 2013 Nov;49(11):1077-82
- PIK3CA mutations and PTEN loss in salivary duct carcinomas.Griffith CC, Seethala RR, Luvison A, Miller M, Chiosea SI. Am J Surg Pathol. 2013 Aug;37(8):1201-7.
- Extracapsular spread in head and neck carcinoma: impact of site and human papillomavirus status. Maxwell JH, Ferris RL, Gooding W, Cunningham D, Mehta V, Kim S, Myers EN, Johnson J, Chiosea S. Cancer. 2013 Sep 15;119(18):3302-8.
- KRAS mutant allele-specific imbalance is associated with worse prognosis in pancreatic cancer and progression to undifferentiated carcinoma of the pancreas. Krasinskas AM, Moser AJ, Saka B, Adsay NV, Chiosea SI. Mod Pathol. 2013 Oct;26(10):1346-54.
- Prospective testing of mucoepidermoid carcinoma for the MAML2 translocation: clinical implications. Chiosea SI, Dacic S, Nikiforova MN, Seethala RR. Laryngoscope. 2012 Aug;122(8):1690-4.
- Smith MA, Barnes EL, Chiosea SI. Pathology archive: evaluation of integrity, regulatory compliance, and construction of searchable database from print reports. Am J Clin Pathol 2011;135:753-9.
- Chenevert J, Barnes LE, Chiosea SI. Mucoepidermoid carcinoma: a five-decade journey. Virchows Arch 2011;458:133-40.
- Chiosea SI, Peel R, Barnes EL, Seethala RR. Salivary type tumors seen in consultation. Virchows Arch 2009;454:457-66.
- Chiosea S, Jelezcova E, Chandran U, Luo J, Mantha G, Sobol RW, Dacic S. Overexpression of Dicer in precursor lesions of lung adenocarcinoma. Cancer Res 2007;67:2345-50.
- Chiosea S, Jelezcova E, Chandran U, Acquafondata M, McHale T, Sobol RW, Dhir R. Up-regulation of dicer, a component of the MicroRNA machinery, in prostate adenocarcinoma. Am J Pathol 2006;169:1812-20.