Pathology Graduate Training Program
Name: John G Lunz III
Cellular and Molecular Pathology (CMP) -
Undergraduate Degree: BS Biology
Undergraduate Degree Year: 1996
Undergraduate Institution: Allegheny College
Academic Status: 4th Year
Graduate Program: Experimental Pathology
Thesis Advisor: Jake Demetris, M.D.
Thesis Title/Research Topic: Influence of Interleukin-6 on Dendritic Cell Maturation and Function
Current Research Description: Examining the influence IL-6/STAT3 signaling on DC maturation and function. A particular focus is how IL-6/STAT3 signaling in the liver can influence hepatic DC maturation and function. This may contribute to the resistance of liver DC to stimulation by non-pathogenic antigens that constantly bathe the liver.
- Demetris AJ, Lunz JG 3rd. (2005) Early HCV-associated stellate cell activation in aggressive recurrent HCV: what can liver allografts teach about HCV pathogenesis? Liver Transpl. 2005 Oct;11(10):1172-6.
- Lunz JG 3rd, Tsuji H, Nozaki I, Murase N, Demetris AJ. (2005) An inhibitor of cyclin-dependent kinase, stress-induced p21Waf-1/Cip-1, mediates hepatocyte mito-inhibition during the evolution of cirrhosis. Hepatology. 2005 Jun;41(6):1262-71.
- Nozaki I, Lunz JG 3rd, Specht S, Stolz DB, Taguchi K, Subbotin VM, Murase N, Demetris AJ. (2005) Small proline-rich proteins 2 are noncoordinately upregulated by IL-6/STAT3 signaling after bile duct ligation. Lab Invest. 2005 Jan;85(1):109-23.
- Nozaki I, Lunz JG 3rd, Specht S, Park JI, Giraud AS, Murase N, Demetris AJ. (2004) Regulation and function of trefoil factor family 3 expression in the biliary tree. Am J Pathol. 2004 Dec;165(6):1907-20.
- Wu T, Han C, Lunz JG 3rd, Michalopoulos G, Shelhamer JH, Demetris AJ. (2002) Involvement of 85-kd cytosolic phospholipase A(2) and cyclooxygenase-2 in the proliferation of human cholangiocarcinoma cells. Hepatology. 2002 Aug;36(2):363-73.
- Lunz JG 3rd, Contrucci S, Ruppert K, Murase N, Fung JJ, Starzl TE, Demetris AJ. (2001). Replicative senescence of biliary epithelial cells precedes bile duct loss in chronic liver allograft rejection: increased expression of p21(WAF1/Cip1) as a disease marker and the influence of immunosuppressive drugs. Am J Pathol. 2001 Apr;158(4):1379-90.
- Sakamoto T, Ezure T, Lunz J, Murase N, Tsuji H, Fung JJ, Demetris AJ. (2000) Concanavalin A simultaneously primes liver hematopoietic and epithelial progenitor cells for parallel expansion during liver regeneration after partial hepatectomy in mice. Hepatology. 2000 Aug;32(2):256-67.
- Yokomuro S, Tsuji H, Lunz JG 3rd, Sakamoto T, Ezure T, Murase N, Demetris AJ. (2000) Growth control of human biliary epithelial cells by interleukin 6, hepatocyte growth factor, transforming growth factor beta1, and activin A: comparison of a cholangiocarcinoma cell line with primary cultures of non-neoplastic biliary epithelial cells. Hepatology. 2000 Jul;32(1):26-35.
- Yokomuro S, Lunz JG 3rd, Sakamoto T, Ezure T, Murase N, Demetris AJ. (2000) The effect of interleukin-6 (IL-6)/gp130 signalling on biliary epithelial cell growth, in vitro. Cytokine. 2000 Jun;12(6):727-30.
- Ezure T, Sakamoto T, Tsuji H, Lunz JG 3rd, Murase N, Fung JJ, Demetris AJ. (2000) The development and compensation of biliary cirrhosis in interleukin-6-deficient mice. Am J Pathol. 2000 May;156(5):1627-39.
- Lunz J and Rankin S (1997). Juvenile Hormone biosynthesis and utilization of farnesoic acid during the final larval stadium of the ring-legged earwig. Physiological Entomology 22 (4), 365-372.