Pathology Graduate Training Program
Cellular and Molecular Pathology (CMP) -
Mentor Name: Johnny Huard, Ph.D.
Undergraduate Degree: Biomedical Engineering (B.S.)
Undergraduate Institution: Northwestern University
Research Project Information
I'm working on muscle-derived stem cells for cardiac repair. In particular, I am focusing on the effect of donor cell and host sex and age on myocardial regeneration after ischemic injury. In addition, I am examining methods to improve transplantation, including mechanically preconditioning the cells and pretreatment with antioxidants prior to injection.
Publications / Achievements
Zheng B, Cao B, Crisan M, Sun B, Li G, Logar A, Yap S, Pollett JB, Drowley L, Cassino T, Gharaibeh B, Deasy BM, Huard J, Peault B. "Prospective identification of myogenic endothelial cells in human skeletal muscle. Nature Biotechnology. 2007 Sep;25(9):1025-34.
- McGowan Institute for Regenerative Medicine Retreat 2007 - Effect of donor cell and host sex on muscle stem cell transplantation for myocardial regeneration
- TERMIS 2007 - Sex differences in muscle stem cell transplantation for cardiac repair
- Biomedical Graduate Student Association, University of Pittsburgh, 2006-2008
- McGowan Institute Retreat, Nemacolin, 2007, 2008
- Pathology Department Retreat, Pittsburgh, 2007, 2008
- Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine, Toronto, 2007
- Experimental Biology Meeting, San Diego, 2008
- Organization for the Study of Sex Differences, New Orleans, 2008
- International Society for Stem Cell Research, Philadelphia, 2008
- Cellular Approaches to Tissue Engineering and Regeneration Pre-doctoral training grant
- Pathology Department Retreat 2008 - 3rd place in poster competition